Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I've got an idea for an app I want to make, and I want it to be available on iOS, iPadOS and macOS. My question is, how complex is it to port an iOS app to macOS? Should I build them in parallel or do the iOS app first and then the macOS app later?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I would use Xcode's CrossPlatform template. Build the model code in one place, share UI elements where possible and make target specific UI tweaks where you need it. Probably keep one target the focus at first but write it in a way that's convenient to work with when you start focusing the UI on other targets later on.

Reactions: Cromulent

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I would use Xcode's CrossPlatform template. Build the model code in one place, share UI elements where possible and make target specific UI tweaks where you need it. Probably keep one target the focus at first but write it in a way that's convenient to work with when you start focusing the UI on other targets later on.
Thank you! That is helpful information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.