Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
After upgrading my wife's 5S from 7.x to 8.0 an ICON which I don't recognize is on the phone and can't be deleted. Touching it runs nothing, it has no name attached and when I select DELETE to delete it nothing happens.

Does anyone recognize what app it might be or know how to remove it? If I knew what it was I could properly install it then delete it. I looked through ALL my wife's app store purchases as well as mine including what was not on our phones and iPad and can't find it.

VQ8Qr3.png

This is the "MYSTERY" APP. Look familiar to anyone?

DUgSci.png

If I select DELETE nothing happens.

denilol

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
That is an incomplete or corrupted download. Usually you can hold down power and the home button for 15 seconds to reboot and hopefully clear it. You can try signing in and out of the App Store. Or you can go into settings General > Reset > Reset All Settings

However I had this happen over the weekend and I was unable to fix it using any of those methods that usually do the trick. There were enough other bugs with iOS 8 that I downgraded to ios7. Hope you have better luck than I.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
So no one recognizes the APP that mysterious ICON belongs to? :( It looks so familiar but I just can't find it and I have been searching for days. It's possible even the ICON load was incomplete.

----------

That is an incomplete or corrupted download. Usually you can hold down power and the home button for 15 seconds to reboot and hopefully clear it. You can try signing in and out of the App Store. Or you can go into settings General > Reset > Reset All Settings

However I had this happen over the weekend and I was unable to fix it using any of those methods that usually do the trick. There were enough other bugs with iOS 8 that I downgraded to ios7. Hope you have better luck than I.

I've tried it all with no results. Only thing to do would be erase and start over. I wonder if I backed up then did a full restore it would go away. Really don't want to do that because my wife would have a fit because she'd have to reenter all her passwords. I guess I'll just dump it in the junk folder.

denilol

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
So no one recognizes the APP that mysterious ICON belongs to? :( It looks so familiar but I just can't find it and I have been searching for days. It's possible even the ICON load was incomplete.

----------

I've tried it all with no results. Only thing to do would be erase and start over. I wonder if I backed up then did a full restore it would go away. Really don't want to do that because my wife would have a fit because she'd have to reenter all her passwords. I guess I'll just dump it in the junk folder.

Yeah, it's just the icon load was incomplete. They did show that grid in the WWDC '13 keynote when they were describing how they redesigned every tiny facet in ios7.

Check if you can download other apps or updates. The whole install routine was stuck for me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's not an icon of any app, it's a generic iOS placeholder for an icon. It's basically some corrupted app.

I came across something similar upgrading to iOS 8 on one of the devices, and ultimately the only fix that worked was restoring it as new again and putting on a backup once again.

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
Could be a website link. I think when I installed 8 my link to Ars technica showed up with that icon.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
It's not an icon of any app, it's a generic iOS placeholder for an icon. It's basically some corrupted app.

I came across something similar upgrading to iOS 8 on one of the devices, and ultimately the only fix that worked was restoring it as new again and putting on a backup once again.

That seems to be the only option. Thanks. Hopefully the backup won't restore that "whatever it is." :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.