Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

About the App Library…

• I love it, wish it was my home screen.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I like it, it’s convenient and I don’t need to organize icons, screens or create folders.

Votes: 29 24.8%
  • I like it but I still organize my apps in my own custom folders.

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I don’t like it, already have my apps sorted my way on multiple pages and/or inside folders.

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • I don’t like it at all, wish I could turn it off.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I don’t mind the App Library but don’t care either.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • (Other - comment below)

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

HQuest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Now that the App Library is out there for quite a while, what is your take on the feature?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Now that the App Library is out there for quite a while, what is your take on the feature?

Quite like the feature.

When I upgraded to iOS 14, I decided that I was not going to deal with arranging and organizing my apps going forward. My main Home Screen (or first page) on my iPhone 8+ now consists of one long widget at the top, followed by two instances of the Siri suggestions widget, which provides me with 16 commonly used apps on the home page.

My second “page” on the Home Screen is App Library. I’ve moved all apps out of the Home Screen into the App Library. Whatever apps aren’t displayed to click on there, I just start typing in the search bar to get the full list of all apps installed A-Z.

It’s never been easier to find and open an app on iOS. While I understand it may be more difficult to curate folders and such I think the majority of users don’t keep up with that level of organization so this is a very welcome change.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I'm used to app library drawer for my Android, but on my iPhone, I frequently just use the search/spotlight that I rarely bother going to the App library. But I can understand Apple's intention for those with gajillion apps on their home screen. :D

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
If the default was the alphabetical view, it might be marginally more useful - more like the Android version of the same thing - but the Apple arbitrary placement of apps in their groups is useless to me. Still use multiple pages and the occasional folders within to organize my apps as makes sense to me.

And that is not a concept Apple has ever figured out - be it software or hardware.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If the default was the alphabetical view, it might be marginally more useful - more like the Android version of the same thing - but the Apple arbitrary placement of apps in their groups is useless to me. Still use multiple pages and the occasional folders within to organize my apps as makes sense to me.

And that is not a concept Apple has ever figured out - be it software or hardware.
After using both iPhones and Android, imo Apple's spotlight is so good that I don't really need an alphabetical list on my iPhone. On Android, OTOH, since the app drawer is just a tap/flick a way, it's faster to have an alphabetical list, at least for me. Just two different approach on the UI. :)

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Quite like the feature.

When I upgraded to iOS 14, I decided that I was not going to deal with arranging and organizing my apps going forward. My main Home Screen (or first page) on my iPhone 8+ now consists of one long widget at the top, followed by two instances of the Siri suggestions widget, which provides me with 16 commonly used apps on the home page.

My second “page” on the Home Screen is App Library. I’ve moved all apps out of the Home Screen into the App Library. Whatever apps aren’t displayed to click on there, I just start typing in the search bar to get the full list of all apps installed A-Z.

It’s never been easier to find and open an app on iOS. While I understand it may be more difficult to curate folders and such I think the majority of users don’t keep up with that level of organization so this is a very welcome change.
Same exact setup here and the Siri suggestions widgets are better than I believed they could be. The app library screen itself is mostly useless since swiping down and typing the first couple letters of whatever app you want is way faster than trying to find it in the AL category folders.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Still hate it. ;)

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Much more ‘real computer’ like to have an accessible central app storage folder like this. Now I have a page with my go to apps, and all the necessary but seldom used junk is stashed for me. Don’t know what the problem is, other than it’s not on ipados yet.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Ever since System 7.1P3, Apple has been trying to help me organize with special launchers and such. However, I can do my own thing.

I haven't used App Library yet. I only see it when I swipe too far.

I've seen a lot of people's phones where they can't find an app and they need some sort of organization, so maybe it will work for them, if they remember to install iOS 14.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have a ton of apps on my iPad and phone and like to use functionally-assigned folders and use the same on both devices (and similar home page layout) so I can immediately find things regardless of which device I pick up.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
Quite like the feature.

Same here… two folders on my Home Screen and 10 apps, that gets me through my day just fine. The library works well and keeps me organized.

I do have a second home page that is hidden except when I travel. Includes 12 travel apps I will need for that trip (AA, Uber, TripIt, maps, weather, train, clear and so on, as well as two widgets.

Reactions: Abazigal

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
As someone with hundreds of apps I "like" it but it could use some improvement. I'm glad they added it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.