Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
So I know Apple has stated that iOS apps will run on ARM Mac but what about the opposite - running ARM Mac apps on iOS? For example would I be able to take the Big Sur/ARM binary for Music app and run on iPadOS? I want to be able to manage my iTunes library from my iPad since the functionality in the iOS Music app is nowhere near parity with the Mac Music app.... My guess is that it won't work but why? what is missing? Xcode on iPadOS?

bazzler

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2005
So I know Apple has stated that iOS apps will run on ARM Mac but what about the opposite - running ARM Mac apps on iOS? For example would I be able to take the Big Sur/ARM binary for Music app and run on iPadOS? I want to be able to manage my iTunes library from my iPad since the functionality in the iOS Music app is nowhere near parity with the Mac Music app.... My guess is that it won't work but why? what is missing? Xcode on iPadOS?

This was my first thought - can I get my Mac games running on my iPad Pro ?

I think memory limitations will stop this possibility if nothing else

TheKDub

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
Yeah, I don't think anything will stop it once the architecture is unified, other than hardware performance.

It's just the opposite right now is mentioned since we know all Arm MacOS hardware WILL support any iOS/iPadOS since any new Apple laptop/desktop (even in the most basic config) will be at least as powerful as the most powerful iPad and iPhone. They just can't say that an app built for MacOS will work on less powerful hardware, but I don't see why something in the future that is built for MacOS can't also work on iPhones and iPads given the correct UI (touch enabled, etc.)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks to project catalyst you can run iOS apps on macOS. There is not feature provided by Apple to go the other way. Will they in future? Who knows but it won't be available anytime soon imo

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The libraries from Mac OS are not part of iPad OS. At the most obvious level AppKit has not ever been on iPad OS and is not likely to ever be there. iPad OS uses UIKit. Catalyst provides a MacOS implementation of UIKit (heavily based on the iOS simulator libraries I assume). I don't see Apple having any interest in Mac OS apps on iPad OS.

UnbreakableAlex

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2019
I wonder what’s the big fuss about iOS apps running in MacOS. To create iOS apps you already need a Mac so they could run before on any Mac of the last years. What has changed?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I wonder what’s the big fuss about iOS apps running in MacOS. To create iOS apps you already need a Mac so they could run before on any Mac of the last years. What has changed?

If you had the source code you could run iOS apps in the simulator or more recently as you could check the box and run using Catalyst. This is different: you can run any app straight from the iOS App Store without modification

Reactions: UnbreakableAlex
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.