Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minvoyager

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2014
I'm very worried of iOS apps downloading my contacts list (and I'm aware of the Privacy iOS settings for contacts).

Hence I want to know: Is the present device, where I gave the permission, the only place where the App can 'pillage' my Contacts? Or can the App go directly to the iCloud server to get the contacts data?

What if, on a first iPhone, I do not populate the Contacts app with any data - and if I gave permission for the app to access Contacts on that first device which had no Contacts data - can the App use that permission to raid the Contacts from a second of my devices where I did not give permission, or even did not install that app on the second device?

Does the App, upon me unwittingly giving permission to the app to access my Contacts - does it get the data from the device itself, or from the iCloud server?

I just hate the idea that by accidentally clicking some button, that an app can just download my entire Contacts list, e.g. Facebook app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.