Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Long story short,

MacMini, MacBookAir and iPhone sharing iCloud to sync photos and other stuff, run out of my 50GB iCloud space and looking at what is chewing up space, found 30+ gig of photos, 11GB of backup and almost 5GB of whatsapp backup, wondering if iOS backup also backs up whatsapp and how to avoid that.

Grazie

edit: I am deleting double pics from iCloud, what if I remove the whole library off my MacBookAir (which I think is messing it all up) and then reactivate the iCloud sync?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
You can see the apps included in your iCloud backups by going to Account > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups > <your device>. On that screen you'll see a list of apps that are included. If you don't want WhatsApp to be included in your iCloud backup, you can turn it off for the next backup.

See the section in the article below titled Reduce the size of your iCloud backup

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
If you care about your photos be sure to implement a 3-2-1 backup strategy. iCloud does not count, and TM can only be one backup.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I backup my photos twice, first the archive is on an external RAID1 drive and then again on another external drive which backups from both the computer's hard drive and the external one.

This said, I deleted the Photo library from the MBAir I am tying from, this freed space up, then created a new default library and synched with iCloud, after a while all got back in place but when I take a photo with iPhone it only shows on the Air and not on the Mini which is my main machine, nor the folders I create on one synch on the other, what I still have to try is to reboot the Mini (which is the one out of synch), it is now busy doing some stuff after which I will try and reboot to figure if it synchs.

Grazie

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
It would cost you $24 a year to upgrade to 200Gb. Maybe that's the way to go to avoid the hassle?
Do housekeeping certainly but you'll clear a lot of stuff out and then you'll have the same problem again in no time at all. Just a thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.