Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FunkiFuriaku

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
hi there, ios has now that stupid new feature battery health that makes me go nuts now.. my phone is the 8 plus just 7 months old and the battery healt was 97 before yesterday it was 93% which i don't understand and today it is 90% that is just ridiculouse... i'm thinking this is more so you think the phone is dying so you buy their new phones.. i don't think they care about consumers but just money. I don't hate apple and love the products but this is just ridiculouse, The funny thing is that the app that also shows battery healt same as coconut on the mac my battery is 100% do that means they are lying and the battery health in ios doesn't work or is fake. can't believe they do this

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I personally wouldn’t worry until you get to around 80%. That said, before the end of the year you could take advantage of the battery replacement for $29 from Apple.

FunkiFuriaku

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
I personally wouldn’t worry until you get to around 80%. That said, before the end of the year you could take advantage of the battery replacement for $29 from Apple.
Oh okay. Thanks for the info, i just find it ridiculouse that it drained that fast.. in one day

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
The percentage is not necessarily accurate, or I should say give an accurate representation of the battery status. If you feel you're having issues, contact Apple directly and they should be able to help.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
hi there, ios has now that stupid new feature battery health that makes me go nuts now.. my phone is the 8 plus just 7 months old and the battery healt was 97 before yesterday it was 93% which i don't understand and today it is 90% that is just ridiculouse... i'm thinking this is more so you think the phone is dying so you buy their new phones.. i don't think they care about consumers but just money. I don't hate apple and love the products but this is just ridiculouse, The funny thing is that the app that also shows battery healt same as coconut on the mac my battery is 100% do that means they are lying and the battery health in ios doesn't work or is fake. can't believe they do this

Excellent points. Readings seem to be as accurate as download times remaining. When getting my 6S battery replaced two weeks ago I mentioned my 79 Coconut's last reading while Genius said he relied on Apple's 86 reading. All are at 100 for the time being supposedly for whatever that is worth.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Oh okay. Thanks for the info, i just find it ridiculouse that it drained that fast.. in one day
I’d definitely agree with that. It shouldn’t degrade that quickly. I believe on average most batteries in iPhones degrade by 10% per year.

Apple says the following:

“A normal battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles when operating under normal conditions.“

So, depending on how often you charge your phone a complete cycle you could estimate if your battery health is on par with what Apple expects.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Easy, DJ. Don't take one day's results with anything but a grain of salt. I've had a couple battery health apps on my phones until iOS 11x when Apple introduced their own battery health information. There were differences between how they determined health and how Apple determined health. Apple's was always better.

There were stories of people trying to get their batteries replaced before the 2 year warranty ended because those apps or Coconut would say they were below 80%. When they went in, the Apple store would find the batter better than 80% and they would refuse replacement. Point being in this discussion is I would wait and see what happens to the battery report in iOS over a bit of time. If anything, Apple's motivation is to show a battery in better health, not worse health.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Manufacturing defects occur all the time. There are about 20 anode and cathode closely spaced sheets in the iPhone pouch battery. Any one of those sheets can fail or contamination of the electrolyte can result in decreased capacity.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Easy, DJ. Don't take one day's results with anything but a grain of salt. I've had a couple battery health apps on my phones until iOS 11x when Apple introduced their own battery health information. There were differences between how they determined health and how Apple determined health. Apple's was always better.

There were stories of people trying to get their batteries replaced before the 2 year warranty ended because those apps or Coconut would say they were below 80%. When they went in, the Apple store would find the batter better than 80% and they would refuse replacement. Point being in this discussion is I would wait and see what happens to the battery report in iOS over a bit of time. If anything, Apple's motivation is to show a battery in better health, not worse health.
Unless you have AppleCare+, the warranty on the battery is only 1 year in the U.S. Other countries warranties vary...

FunkiFuriaku

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
I’d definitely agree with that. It shouldn’t degrade that quickly. I believe on average most batteries in iPhones degrade by 10% per year.

Apple says the following:

“A normal battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles when operating under normal conditions.“

So, depending on how often you charge your phone a complete cycle you could estimate if your battery health is on par with what Apple expects.
I always charge it once every day. At the end of the day it goes on the charger, sometimes i don't need to charge at all! Just pretty wierd i didn't even used my phone alot just messages facebook and messenger. The rest is on my ipad because i know my battery would die faster on my phone using youtube etc..
[doublepost=1542222329][/doublepost]I
Manufacturing defects occur all the time. There are about 20 anode and cathode closely spaced sheets in the iPhone pouch battery. Any one of those sheets can fail or contamination of the electrolyte can result in decreased capacity.
don't think there is a defect since my phone stays on 100% a long time. Could be a bug aswell i don't know.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
don't think there is a defect since my phone stays on 100% a long time. Could be a bug aswell i don't know.

Defects don't show necessarily show up on day one. Otherwise, we would never see an iPhone with a swelling battery.

Battery cells can fail mechanically after impact or vibration because they're made from sheets.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
My iPhone X is now almost a year old and my battery health is at 97% at the moment. But I'm pretty sure Apple is especially targeting your iPhone and letting battery health drain remotely on purpose.
I mean for real, what's up with you people always seeing a conspiracy in everything? Maybe it's a bug, or something really is wrong with your battery? No, of course the first thought is, that Apple is trying to screw you over.:rolleyes:

Reactions: adamhenry

FunkiFuriaku

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014

Well a friend of mine has a X and his vattery health is still 100% real or not my thoughts are t
My iPhone X is now almost a year old and my battery health is at 97% at the moment. But I'm pretty sure Apple is especially targeting your iPhone and letting battery health drain remotely on purpose.
I mean for real, what's up with you people always seeing a conspiracy in everything? Maybe it's a bug, or something really is wrong with your battery? No, of course the first thought is, that Apple is trying to screw you
I mean for real, what's up with you people always seeing a conspiracy in everything? Maybe it's a bug, or something really is wrong with your battery? No, of course the first thought is, that Apple is trying to screw you over.:rolleyes:
Indeed! They probably like i said want to fool me to get a new one because my device is getting older, A bug can cause this aswell now they can't slow down iPhones they found a new methode. My friend who has te normal 8 is allready 89% and she has it for only 4 months or so.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
I think you confused Android phones with open-source ones
So you use a phone that anybody can access? Congrats on being a bot. Rather have some kind of security unless you like having no control over you data or your calls, messages.

Mahdi84

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2019
So you use a phone that anybody can access? Congrats on being a bot. Rather have some kind of security unless you like having no control over you data or your calls, messages.
open source phone could mean a phone with locked firmware. Current open-source phones customers are geeks that want modifications. But these phone manufactures are small so they listen to their customers. If they start to have customers that request these phones only for transparency (without sacrificing security) they start selling locked ones.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
With how cheap battery replacement is, dont worry and just enjoy the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.