Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
So before I had iOS 7.1.2... when I paired it with my car, it seamlessly placed and received calls via my car's audio system (Hyundai). When I upgraded my iPhone 5S to iOS 8, that stopped, so I just figured it was because I had to re-pair it with the car.

Then I got my 6+ and it's the same way. Now when I am connected via bluetooth, I place a call, and it says it's going over bluetooth, but it doesn't interrupt my car's music, and the audio doesn't play over the speakers. The only way I can talk to the person is if I press the Audio button on the phone and select speakerphone or iPhone as if it wasn't connected to the car.

This seems like a huge step backward in technology, and I'm not happy. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there any work around? I really can't deal with going back 5 years in time.

Thanks!

EDIT: Based on comments in this thread, 8.0 and 8.0.2 broke bluetooth connectivity for almost all users. The following car brand owners have reported the issue...

- Hyundai
- Chevrolet
- Aston Martin
- BMW
- Mercedes
- Lexus
- Toyota
- Acura
- Infiniti
- Ford
- Mazda
- Mitsubishi

Last edited:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Other people have experienced such. You need to check with your automaker for an update.

That's absolute hogwash. You don't go to an auto maker when the car is made to the technology standard. It's the phone that broke the compatibility with iOS 8... found thousands of people in the same boat.

Apple needs to get their stuff together and resolve this.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Had the same issue. 2014 GLI. I deleted phone from my cars system and car from my phone,did a re-sync all is well.

I tried deleting and re-pairing... pairs fine, downloads contacts fine, but phone doesn't work over bluetooth. Absurdity.

I suppose I'm supposed to get a new car because Apple doesn't follow industry bluetooth spec? LOL

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I feel your pain, I had to replace my BT audio in my work truck when iOS 5 came along.

I'd sooner replace my phone, because ANY other bluetooth device on the planet works. Clearly the issue is not the car's audio system. LOL

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Got lucky this time, Both car and work truck have no issues.
Maybe you can reset you audio system in your car, Or get a Android device:confused:

Reset the audio system? The PHONE is the issue, not the audio system, lol.

It's like saying if you plug a TV into the wall and it doesn't turn on, blame the electric company even though everything else you plug into the same outlet works just fine. LOL.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Have you tried setting the following?

Settings>General>Accessibility>Call Audio Routing = Headset

I had a little trouble with my Plantronics BT headset after updating to iOS 8 and changing this setting from "Automatic" to "Headset" seems to have taken care of it (or it could have just been coincidence). I have also had no trouble with the BT in my Toyota RAV4 after changing this setting.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Have you tried setting the following?

Settings>General>Accessibility>Call Audio Routing = Headset

I had a little trouble with my Plantronics BT headset after updating to iOS 8 and changing this setting from "Automatic" to "Headset" seems to have taken care of it (or it could have just been coincidence). I have also had no trouble with the BT in my Toyota RAV4 after changing this setting.

I had to download the Plantronics Updater app for my Legend UC and then perform a firmware update to restore full functionality of my Legend after moving to iOS8.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
On iOS 7 my car's Bluetooth kit worked great. On iOS 8 it didn't.

When I had the software upgraded on the bluetooth kit it worked fine. Complain to Hyundai, not Apple.

aggiesrwe03

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
TEXAS
That's absolute hogwash. You don't go to an auto maker when the car is made to the technology standard. It's the phone that broke the compatibility with iOS 8... found thousands of people in the same boat.

Apple needs to get their stuff together and resolve this.

Yeah it's crap, I have two Chevys and both do it, people from Honda to Toyota report the same problem, NOT the vehicle that has the problem, definitely the phone, and for the record this is an issue with the public release I am a developer and had zero issues with this during the betas, including the GM. Not exactly sure what the change was...

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
Have the same issue with my 203 Astra, worked fine in iOS7 and broke in iOS8. I have tried resetting various settings on my phone and car and deleting and restoring connection settings on both too, nothing has fixed the issue. I have yet another call planned with Apple this week about it

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
On iOS 7 my car's Bluetooth kit worked great. On iOS 8 it didn't.

When I had the software upgraded on the bluetooth kit it worked fine. Complain to Hyundai, not Apple.

Huh? Nothing changed with Hyundai... it worked with every smartphone on the market, now it works with every smartphone on the market including apple EXCEPT those running iOS 8.0 ... if you think that's Hyundai's issue, you're out of touch.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Huh? Nothing changed with Hyundai... it worked with every smartphone on the market, now it works with every smartphone on the market including apple EXCEPT those running iOS 8.0 ... if you think that's Hyundai's issue, you're out of touch.

Agree, iOS 8 on a iP 5 and an iP 6 will not work with our 2012 Lexus RX 350.

The 5 can at least connect although you can't make calls but the 6 won't connect at all.

As usual, Apple has f'd up the BT stack on this release.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Agree, iOS 8 on a iP 5 and an iP 6 will not work with our 2012 Lexus RX 350.

The 5 can at least connect although you can't make calls but the 6 won't connect at all.

As usual, Apple has f'd up the BT stack on this release.

Neither my 5S nor my 6 nor my 6+ pass the call through to the car.

I can pair it just fine, it downloads the contacts and shows connected, but when I place a call, the music doesn't cut over to the call, and the phone doesn't seem to do anything except send the call into thin air.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I've posted about this too. Well, slightly different. For me, my phone will interrupt my radio and give me turn by turn directions when I use the navigon app. It will not when I use the maps app. I can only hear the maps app when I tune to the bluetooth setting on the radio. There used to be an option for HFP in the map app. That is gone now. I think something is wrong with the HFP settings...

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Luckily my 2008 Nissan works just fine with iOS 8, but I do remember it having issues with iOS 6. I had to reset all network settings, re-pair the thing, and it worked fine after that.

darrencp22

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
I really dont understand some people on here. So the car makers are suppose to put out new firmware everytime Apple updates it's OS? That's insanity. Is there nothing Apple can do wrong in your mind? When the pairing worked before, where it works with almost everything else, and where the outlyer is the update to iOS8, clearly iOS8 is to blame.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I really dont understand some people on here. So the car makers are suppose to put out new firmware everytime Apple updates it's OS? That's insanity. Is there nothing Apple can do wrong in your mind? When the pairing worked before, where it works with almost everything else, and where the outlyer is the update to iOS8, clearly iOS8 is to blame.

Exactly, there was a comment or two that was like HUH? Bluetooth is an industry standard. Car makers build to those standards. Clearly Apple has done something that doesn't comply. I suppose if Apple were to come up with a different type of wall charger that didn't fit electrical outlets, the fanboys would blame the electric companies for not replacing the wall sockets to accommodate Apple's decision to change? LOL

ea9

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011

You are very right my friend.

My 2014(!!) 535xi worked perfectly with iOS7. Now with iOS8 every time I receive a text message it acts as if I'm getting a 5 second call with the Text tone. I have to mute my phone in the car.. how ridiculous.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
You are very right my friend.

My 2014(!!) 535xi worked perfectly with iOS7. Now with iOS8 every time I receive a text message it acts as if I'm getting a 5 second call with the Text tone. I have to mute my phone in the car.. how ridiculous.

Sounds like the issue is with your car. Clearly you need to replace it. LOL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.