Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kagio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
upload_2018-6-4_19-14-1.png

Reactions: Ray305

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
It could be smart invert mode which exist in iOS 11... but I actually kind of got the impression that suggestions were being shady differently than notifications.

Apple made a huge deal out of the dark mode in macOS there’s no way they would release it in iOS without mentioning it... I think it’s likely to come in iOS 13 but it won’t be i
In iOS 12

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
The News app they demonstrated during the iOS part of the keynote looked very...darkish... Tripply so for the stocks part of the app...

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
“They’re saving dark mode exclusively for the oled display iPhone.” - people during June 2017
They’re saving dark mode for the redesign next year, lol. Will they really call it iOS 13? Time for something new that looks different? They’ve been dropping the “i” lately.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
System bubbles will appear black. Media controls, Do Not Disturb, Siri Suggestions, etc.

Notifications will appear white to diverse the two. Siri Suggestions were always black bubbles anyway.

Reactions: g35

tkwlee

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
System bubbles will appear black. Media controls, Do Not Disturb, Siri Suggestions, etc.

Notifications will appear white to diverse the two. Siri Suggestions were always black bubbles anyway.

Why can’t Apple let user to make a choice on the colour theme?

And I wish at least there will be night mode for setting, AppStore app...

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Kinda odd though that system Notifications are dark but email and other apps are still light.

IMG_4826 (1).jpg

Reactions: g35

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Kinda odd though that system Notifications are dark but email and other apps are still light.

View attachment 764690

I think it's in line with Apple's Digital Health initiative. System notifications like "Do Not Disturb" or "iCloud Storage is Full" don't need as much attention as email or Google Maps directions.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Yeah, you can quote the rest of that line too..

"...makes sense, but it did too for new iPhone X with OLED"

so...

I can already see the series of events that would take place if Dark Mode was implemented in iOS 12

• Users find themselves toggling Dark Mode on and off when going outside or in a room that is brightly lit because it is difficult to read the screen.
  • Users ask Apple to add a control center toggle for Dark Mode because it's incovenient to go to settings > display every time.
  • Apple complies by adding a control center toggle.
  • Users then complain about how it's inconvenient to always have to go the control center to toggle it and ask for an automated process.
  • Apple complies and uses the ambient light sensor to detect ambient light and automatically toggle Dark Mode on and off based on ambient light.
  • Users complain that they like how "cool" dark mode looks and want to leave it on even when it's not dark so they disable the "auto detect" feature and....we're back to "it's not convenient to toggle it on and off".

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I can already see the series of events that would take place if Dark Mode was implemented in iOS 12

• Users find themselves toggling Dark Mode on and off when going outside or in a room that is brightly lit because it is difficult to read the screen.
  • Users ask Apple to add a control center toggle for Dark Mode because it's incovenient to go to settings > display every time.
  • Apple complies by adding a control center toggle.
  • Users then complain about how it's inconvenient to always have to go the control center to toggle it and ask for an automated process.
  • Apple complies and uses the ambient light sensor to detect ambient light and automatically toggle Dark Mode on and off based on ambient light.
  • Users complain that they like how "cool" dark mode looks and want to leave it on even when it's not dark so they disable the "auto detect" feature and....we're back to "it's not convenient to toggle it on and off".
To be fair, that could really be said about many features, so it's kind of neither here nor there in that aspect of it all. (And realistically speaking dark mode might actually work out better in bright environments too.)

Ultimately having the option doesn't seem like a stretch at all, especially given that they now actually did it for macOS.

That said, seems like this thread isn't really about it as it was just a misunderstanding of a new type of notifications and how they are presented, without really having much to do with anything like dark mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.