Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CasualAppleUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2021
In the process of factory resetting a couple of iPhones to sell, i came across a number of tools claiming to be able to recover deleted data from iPhones.

Is this actually possible? Some of them are quite expensive, so i presume they must offer something.

As i have had everything from credit cards to many photos of receipts and contracts on the phones, id rather not sell them if there is a chance someone could just download software.

Anybody know for sure?

Thanks in advance

CasualAppleUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2021
Your devices will be fine for resell. The companies are trying to get your money and they will use scare tactics to accomplish their goal.
How do you know? There are pages of them and some charge £100s. Its not as if i am being scared into using them. Quite the opposite. I'm concerned that the buyer may have tools that can somehow access information that should be deleted after a factory reset. They have reviews on respectable websites like TechRadar. I'm no expert in these matters.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
How do you know? There are pages of them and some charge £100s. Its not as if i am being scared into using them. Quite the opposite. I'm concerned that the buyer may have tools that can somehow access information that should be deleted after a factory reset. They have reviews on respectable websites like TechRadar. I'm no expert in these matters.
Since you have seen fit to spam for forum asking the same question in multiple threads just now, keep your phone. That way, you don't have to worry about selling it or asking questions on the forum and not believing the answer from veteran Apple users.

CasualAppleUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2021
Since you have seen fit to spam for forum asking the same question in multiple threads just now, keep your phone. That way, you don't have to worry about selling it or asking questions on the forum and not believing the answer from veteran Apple users.
One thread and a couple of questions on related threads hardly constitutes as spam. I was seeking some information and appear to have inadvertently offended you by not immediately accepting your assurance that all would be fine. Considering that the tools that i'm asking about are being suggested here, i think my question is pertinent. However, i still appreciate your input.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I think instead of generic blanket statement, a list of forensic tools.

No idea as to validity but a quick search turns up

Top 10 Best iPhone Data Recovery Software for Windows & Mac in 2021​

Anytime I see an app etc. with date, I am suspicious, to say the least.

Of course governments and law, or surveillance organizations will.

Cellebrite​

Israel's Cellebrite, whose software can unlock and extract data from mobile devices

Pegasus

Israeli Pegasus spyware allegedly used to hack phones of ...

NSO Group​

Israel’s NSO Group Linked to Hacking Tool Pitched To U.S ...

And recently...
sophisticated hacking tools, like the ones used by the SolarWinds attackers...

Reactions: CasualAppleUser

CasualAppleUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2021
I think instead of generic blanket statement, a list of forensic tools.

No idea as to validity but a quick search turns up

Top 10 Best iPhone Data Recovery Software for Windows & Mac in 2021​

Anytime I see an app etc. with date, I am suspicious, to say the least.

Of course governments and law, or surveillance organizations will.

Cellebrite​

Israel's Cellebrite, whose software can unlock and extract data from mobile devices

Pegasus

Israeli Pegasus spyware allegedly used to hack phones of ...

NSO Group​

Israel’s NSO Group Linked to Hacking Tool Pitched To U.S ...

And recently...
sophisticated hacking tools, like the ones used by the SolarWinds attackers...
Thanks. Its a deeper subject than i imagined. It does appear that data can be retrieved from a factory reset iPhone.

JimKas

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
Chicago Area
Is it *POSSIBLE*? I'm sure it is, given companies like Celebrite. But the cost of that service is prohibitive for the average person.

For us ordinary average people, I'm confident that if you follow the factory reset process for an iPhone, iPad, etc, you are reasonably safe to keep the vast majority of "bad guys" from the data that WAS on the device.

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
In the process of factory resetting a couple of iPhones to sell, i came across a number of tools claiming to be able to recover deleted data from iPhones.

Is this actually possible? Some of them are quite expensive, so i presume they must offer something.

As i have had everything from credit cards to many photos of receipts and contracts on the phones, id rather not sell them if there is a chance someone could just download software.

Anybody know for sure?

Thanks in advance
I used to work as a small device process manager in a non-profit organization that was responsible for tech recycling, so all the computers, storage devices etc have to go through DBAN before they can be recycled or resold. Since you can't do that for iPhones, all you can do is to de-authorize the AppleID on the iPhone (we asked the donor to do this prior to dropping off their old phones) and then we reset them according to iOS security recommendation. Here's the iOS security note below.

"Erase All Content and Settings

The “Erase all content and settings” option in Settings obliterates all the keys in Effaceable Storage, rendering all user data on the device cryptographically inaccessible. Therefore, it’s an ideal way to be sure all personal information is removed from a device before giving it to somebody else or returning it for service.

Important: Don’t use the “Erase all content and settings” option until device has been backed up, as there is no way to recover the erased data."

So when you reset an iPhone, you are essentially destroying the cypher keys necessary to access the user data. The tools available are used to recreate the cypher keys necessary to access the data, but this is HARDER than you think and you really need heavy duty computing power which only government agencies possess like the NSA or the 5 eyes, 9 eyes and 14 eyes agencies also possess. We used to have a client and she was an investigative reporter to expose the 5 eyes secrets and not only her iPhone and Macbook got hacked through breaking crypto (they managed to get the keys) and compromised her security and work and threats to her own and family.

So unless you have a death wish against the NSA, 5 eyes, 9 eyes and 14 eyes spy agencies, no one would really be inclined to see what's in any soccer mom's former iPhone. The chances of that happening is pretty nil. That's how we both (me and the iPhone iOS tech) came to the conclusion as we are accountable for data destruction on all smart devices, because we can't DBAN an iPhone. Due to this nature, some of our sensitive customers chose to destroy their iPhones rather than to recycle them. We have a specially made anvil used to destroy phones and hard drive that contain sensitive data and that was the fun part of our job! Crushing them! :)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: IowaLynn and JimKas

JimKas

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
Chicago Area
Great answer ILUVMACS99. I fully agree. I'd also like to add, that what you mention is a great argument for why people that are REALLY concerned about someone getting their data should use a VERY strong passcode. For those that may not know, the passcode used to unlock your phone is also used as part of what's used to create the cryptographic key that locks your data. So.... using "1111" or some similar key sequence may be easy to remember, it's also trivial to guess. I'm required to use an alphanumeric passcode by my employer.

So, as illustrated above, you may never be able to keep someone with unlimited resources from getting data from a wiped phone, you can certainly make it impossible from a practical standpoint for all but the most professional, well funded agencies by using a good, strong password.

If you want to make it truly impossible for ANYONE to EVER get the data off your phone, physically destroy it. For safety's sake, remove the battery, then use a sledge hammer to crush the phone to bits... small bits. Use a drill press to drill MULTIPLE holes in it. Please DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITHOUT REMOVING THE BATTERY FIRST, as you could be injured from crushing the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.