Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dannyy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Lviv, Ukraine
Hey boys, I need advice. I want to learn iOS/MacOS development and get a new job in the nearly future (I'm working as Mechanical Engineer and I'm sick of it), so I want to know is it okay to use an old MacBook Pro 13' mid 2009 for that or I will have a problems. I mean, of course I will have a problems, but i'm wondering, can I use it for learning Xcode and developing small apps for couple months. I have couple ideas for applications and games for iPhone, that I want to bring into reality, but I can't change my working machine right now, maybe later. I'm asking cuz I've installed Xcode already, and when I'm opening Simulator, my fans goes crazy even with application where nothing more than white screen.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 5.45.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 5.45.09 PM.png
    95.7 KB · Views: 392

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
As long as you run a recent version of macOS you should be good. Upcoming Xcode 11 may require Catalina...

Not sure what causes the fan issues. Are you sure this is connected with Xcode/Simulator?

Reactions: Dannyy

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
If that Mac has a hard drive in it, not an SSD then you won't be happy. 4G RAM isn't enough and I think the Core 2 Duo is also not supported anymore. You might be able to run an older version of Xcode but that's not a great idea.

I have an old iMac with an hd and the Sim can take a minute to load. I have enough RAM and the Sim does eventually load but it's slow.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I’m no developer but I do have that machine, so here are my 2 cents:

Xcode 11 beta requires 10.14 Mojave, which does not run on that Mac officially. I see that you have installed Mojave anyway but the last hacked OS that runs properly on that machine IMO is 10.13 High Sierra. There are more glitches with Mojave. I wonder if that may be an issue for Xcode 11.

Also, that machine should ideally have an SSD and 8 GB RAM.

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Two years ago I tried using my 2010 iMac with 8GB of ram for development and it was a nightmare. Xcode could take several minutes to compile a project, if it even worked at all (didn't lock up).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.