Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacajenne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Vienna, Austria
Dear All,

I am having some trouble with adding dictionaries to my iPad and iPhone. My native language is Italian. I live in Austria and I am learning German. I would like a German-Italian dictionary.

I looked this up in the web, and the only thing I could find was to go to the settings and select whatever dictionary I needed.
Trouble is, the list does not have German-Italian. To make things stranger, the list is not that long at all.
I do not get dictionaries that often are shown in screenshots in those help web pages. I do not get American English for example.
Why is it so? Anything I could do?

Thanks in advance!!!

Cheers,

Giuseppe

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
I haven't seen it either, but maybe the list you get depends on the language of your operating system?
I get English (US) rather than American English.
The new translation app may be useful to you? Otherwise, you'll have to have a third party app.
Ian

Reactions: Lacajenne

Lacajenne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Vienna, Austria
The question is whether a third party app can be reached directly from the content, for example a newspaper. I find it depressing that the technological potential is not fully exploited when it comes to languages. Most users probably do not care. If done properly, it would be a fantastic tool to learn other languages. Imagine: you have a reasonable understanding of some language. With some help, you could read books, magazines and so on. And you would improve very fast. Ok, end of rant. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.