Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hitmanbbq59

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2020
iOS 15 was a snooze. Minimal features that really helped the experience overall. Focus is nice, FaceTime is nice, but all of the other stuff is just meh at best.

I was browsing the forums and saw very nice ideas on what apple could do/should do to keep iOS up with the times. Now that people are starting to get out of their houses and out to work, has apple not thought about power features for everyone?

1. Split view. Split view should definitely be an option in 2021. No doubt about that. I know some argue that screen space is an issue, but we have had the 7.9 inch iPad mini that had split view with it being a tad larger than the 6.7 inch Pro max. To build off of the larger phone idea, it would definitely be nice if iOS started to optimize for the larger screen sizes we are seeing nowadays. Extra row of icons, more info in widgets (without decreasing text size), just something to take advantage of these larger displays!

2. Interactive/Live widgets. I am sure Apple is working on this. We all got comfortable with widgets quickly, given the customization options you can do with them. In fact, we all probably got sick of widgets pretty quickly since they only display certain information that you can not take action on. I should be able to control a switch or lamp from the home screen, tap on reminders that have been completed without having to dive into the app, or control my dang music playback. To build off the widgets, they just need more diversity. A messages widget with your most recent conversations, mail widget where you can tap and compose a message, and much more!

3. Oh Siri. It is a love hate relationship, but why does she have to cover the keyboard and not allow items behind the UI be interacted with, like on the iPad? Siri should be a bubble in the lower corner, just like the iPad, and not take hostage the keyboard, webpage, etc.

4. Lockscreen quick actions. This one is self explanatory. Why do we need a camera toggle if a swipe will do? Can we replace them with phone dialer, messages, a control center control, or maybe even a third party app? These icons have stayed stagnant since 2017 and it would be fantastic to customize them.

5. Notifications. I understand that notifications got a rather large improvement in iOS 15, but lets take it further. There was rumored to be a new lock screen with iOS 15 that unfortunately did not make the cut. The lock-screen is a huge mess as of now and it would be better to see a more organized lock screen. Hell, even bring widgets to the lock screen if you want them there.

6. Control center. Just make it look like MacOS!

Bonus: New Icons. They would be a nice overhaul that we have not seen since iOS 7 way back in 2013! MacOS icons would look phenomenal.

These are all opinions. I know everyone's use case is significantly different from one another, but these are some of the largest features that I have seen brought up in wishlists, concepts, desires, etc.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I can dig all of that. I’m with you on new features but all I see is tons more bugs. Apple can’t produce a public software anymore without destroying the user experience. Every year it’s been the same thing. New OS comes out. Takes nine months to iron out the bugs, just around the time the new beta is released, then three months later repeat the same process. So essentially, getting three months of a somewhat decent OS, if that. We’re in December and I’m still getting buggy nonsense with 15.1.1. Just for a small example, Live updates in “Find My” which was a headlining feature, just doesn’t work consistently. The Life360 app has had that years ago and worked flawlessly. Bought two HomePod Minis they other day that just wouldn’t get beyond the “Setting Up” stage. Thank goodness I found a Reddit post with a solution. Heaven forbid Apple admits the flaw and gives us that solution. Long story but had something to do with iOS 15 on the iPhone and the Mini shipping with iOS 14 and having to connect to a Mac.

If they’d be able to get their heads out of their butts and produce a good software that works, hey, keep the features coming.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I’d be happy if they ditched the obscene color palette of the icons. Looks like candy on crack. Horrible legacy of Jony Ive.

Reactions: Hitmanbbq59
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.