Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShizumiAoki

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2019
Australia
Hello everyone,

I’ve been trying out the beta version for iOS/iPadOS 13, and I had a question with the new reminders app. When you start it up for the first time it ask if you want to upgrade to the new reminders format, if you upgrade to the new format are you able to downgrade?

Since at the time I did not know that iOS 13 would not run on the iPhone 6 so reminders no longer sync across devices. I tried clean installing, turning off and on iCloud sync but with no luck...

I’m I suck with not being able to down grade? (Since I herd if you upgrade to iOS/iPadOS 13 but don’t upgrade reminders you can the re-design, loses the new features but allow sync to iOS 12)

Thank you for your time, and I hope you have a great day.
Shizu.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Apple made a pretty lousy decision to make Reminders sync break on older devices if you "upgrade" them for full functionality. I don't know if there is a way to downgrade Reminders again to get it working on older devices, but I wanted to make this post more visible for people who might accidentally hit the "Upgrade" button.

It's a bit absurd; if Apple can get iCloud Photos working with new features between new and old devices, why not Reminders? Arrgh.

lineto

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2013
This is also kind of annoying because Catalina won't come out till next month, so if you have a Mac I guess you're expected to not take advantage of the upgraded reminders till then?

Reactions: ShizumiAoki

ShizumiAoki

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2019
Australia
Hmm... so if you have a device that dose not support iOS/iPadOS 13 or macOS 10.15 and upgrade the remembers on a device that did support either one of those systems, it will break the sync across them. Thats kinda stupid and makes people have to buy new products to fix the issue.

I don't understand how reminder can't just have a revert back to past version option (since you have a option to do it from the start and just use the App with the new theme but with out the new option) incase people click it cause they where either not reading the message or like my self not know my iPhone was not supported.
[automerge]1568959959[/automerge]
This is also kind of annoying because Catalina won't come out till next month, so if you have a Mac I guess you're expected to not take advantage of the upgraded reminders till then?

Yeah since iOS 13 is the only one out, so you would have to wait for iPadOS then finally macOS to "finally" be able to sync across all devices (if they all support the new version that is)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.