Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b1scu1t

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Hello,

I made a trip outside the country a few weeks ago and since I came back I have had a persistent annoying problem. When I edit a contact to add a picture or a label(phone) or add a label to my addresses("home" & "work"), in about 8-12 hours it just reverts back.

- Address label "home/work" reverts back to "address"
- Photos goes back to generic initials
- Phone label changes from "iPhone" to "phone".
- My photo whenever I set, it just gets reset back to my initials.
- Country always shows up as this "United Statesitem1.X-ABADR:us"

I have an iPhone, iPad, iMac & MacBook. I have attempted the following in the order mentioned
- Change the labels and confirm every device has the labels I wanted.
- Delete the contact, make sure every device doesn't have the contact and then add it back in
- Completely remove all contacts in all the devices and re-add it back again.

With any of the above, unfortunately in about 8-12 hours it always reverts back. This is really annoying as f, has anybody seen this issue in the past and do they have a solution for it?

Thanks in advance!
b1scu1t

Reactions: lia1tan

mattym42089

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
It’s happening to me too!! My contact photo also disappeared. It’s the same on my iPad, Mac, and web. I’ve tried changing the contacts from each and it still erases the photos hours later.

I called and they have no idea what’s happening but they said to have me try from another device which I did and now I need to call back because the image disappeared again.

lia1tan

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2021
United States
This has been happening to me since the beginning of iOS 15. I thought it was just me! Photos, labels, ringtones, etc. are never consistent on any of my Apple devices and would oftentimes revert back to default. I've just learned to only use and rely on contacts in my iPhone. I also haven't been outside the country in over a year. Apple doesn't seem to know what to do besides the usual sign out of icloud, restart the device, update the OS, make sure all the settings are correct, etc. None of which have helped.

mattym42089

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
16 beta doesn’t fix it. Apple is useless with trying to get it fixed.

So we know it’s not going out of the country. What devices is everyone using? Maybe that will help figure it out.

I have my 13 pro max, iPad Air M1, and MacBook Air M1.

I also recently added iCloud to Outlook on my Mac. Anyone else using a 3rd party for anything iCloud related.

mattym42089

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Ok so my contacts seem to be good now. I went in and revoked any app specific passwords I had and then updated my contacts and they haven’t reverted yet.

Pspressart

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
You can make app specific passwords for things like Outlook or other non apple apps that you are logging into with you iCloud account.
I just did the same and I am waiting to see if it helps. Thinking back now, my problem started after I downloaded Outlook for my iPad and needed the app specific password. I removed Outlook after the problem started, but did nothing with the app specific password.

mattym42089

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
I just did the same and I am waiting to see if it helps. Thinking back now, my problem started after I downloaded Outlook for my iPad and needed the app specific password. I removed Outlook after the problem started, but did nothing with the app specific password.
Let me know if it works. Hopefully it does and I can use this to convince Apple to give me a job since their reps are useless. lol

Spaceboy88

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
New York, NY
Did this fix your issue? I’m forced to use Outlook for work and I’m convinced Outlook is doing this. I removed contacts access on my iPhone and it seemed to work but started up again. I then realized my iPad also has Outlook so I just removed access to contacts from there as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.