Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FyerFyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
Hi guys

out of curiosity, are there any privacy advantages of running my email accounts through the IOS mail app rather than the email provider apps eg Gmail app, Hotmail app?

or vice versa. Is it better for security and privacy to use the apps you have email accounts with?

thanks guys

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
basically, no.
iOS Mail will not steal your data, and you have to trust MS and good if you are using their email services. MS probably has better privacy.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Apple Mail app connects directly you the mail server- Gmail, outlook, Yahoo, etc. etc.

The outlook app uses a Microsoft server to "suck in" any non-Microsoft mail account like Gmail and display them in the app.

Same with Gmail for non-gmail accounts.

It is how much you trust them or not. I dont see a huge concern there. I would not put my stake in 3rd party developers though having access (read some of the recent Edison debacles with privacy to get an idea what could happen.

FyerFyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
Thanks guys

so basically there is no enhanced privacy using the IOS MAIL app over the email account IOS apps..?

Thought IOS Mail might be more private but seems no difference.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Thanks guys

so basically there is no enhanced privacy using the IOS MAIL app over the email account IOS apps..?

Thought IOS Mail might be more private but seems no difference.

Why would there be? If Google host your email, why would you think that using iOS email is going to somehow magically enhance the security over the GMail app?

FyerFyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
Why would there be? If Google host your email, why would you think that using iOS email is going to somehow magically enhance the security over the GMail app?
Gmail App? No gmail email service

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Gmail App? No gmail email service

Huh? You stated App in your original post:

1592511920463.png

Not that it makes any difference. My point still stands.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think your confused. Perhaps read the whole thread again

in any case looked elsewhere for the answer.

thanks guys
So what was/is the actual question if it wasn't about the apps? And what was/is the answer that you found elsewhere?

Last edited:
Reactions: TiggrToo

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
OP, I think you might not realize that by using Gmail, regardless of app or browser you use to view it, is read and collected by gmail. In other words, you privacy is already violated, and no email client can stop that since your data is on Google's servers.

Reactions: FyerFyer

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
OP, I think you might not realize that by using Gmail, regardless of app or browser you use to view it, is read and collected by gmail. In other words, you privacy is already violated, and no email client can stop that since your data is on Google's servers.

Not sure they care given their last response...

FyerFyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015

Thanks dude, that's the exact answer and details I was looking for related to the question I asked.
Perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.