Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
After Spark's recent update I've decided to try the native Mail app again. I like to delete emails I don't want, rather than leave them or archive them. I swear that Mail used to let me do this with a swipe, but now the only options are snooze, archive, flag, move etc, but not delete.

Am I overlooking it, or has it actually been removed? I can find “delete” by swiping and then hitting the 3 dots, but I really want it as a primary swipe option

ETA: Found it after some additional reading, for anyone else who has been confused by this it's a baffling UX as it's not actually in Mail settings under swipe options, but you have to go to Settings > Mail > Accounts > [select account] > Advanced and then tweak the options there.

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
ETA: Found it after some additional reading, for anyone else who has been confused by this it's a baffling UX as it's not actually in Mail settings under swipe options, but you have to go to Settings > Mail > Accounts > [select account] > Advanced and then tweak the options there.

Yep, this was always frustrating when I set up a new iPhone, because I couldn't remember how I had done it before. Here are the swipe options and advanced account options I have set, which make swiping all the way to the right archive the message and swiping all the way to the left delete the message:

Settings > Mail > Swipe Options
IMG_BE0DC25C4BEF-1.jpeg

Settings > Mail > Accounts > [select account] > Account > Advanced
IMG_160C61EF8D0B-1.jpeg

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Yep, this was always frustrating when I set up a new iPhone, because I couldn't remember how I had done it before. Here are the swipe options and advanced account options I have set, which make swiping all the way to the right archive the message and swiping all the way to the left delete the message:

Settings > Mail > Swipe Options
View attachment 2093469

Settings > Mail > Accounts > [select account] > Account > Advanced
View attachment 2093468
Thanks, that’s how I’ve got mine now. Absolutely baffling design decision!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.