Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
So at the office a lot of us are using IOS devices to run our exchange activesync email.

We notice under 8.02 the "Mail Days to Sync" maxes out at one month.
This used to have a "No Limit" option.

I talked with the chief engineer a few minutes ago regarding our email server in case there is a limit being enforced but there isn't.

I talked with one of our end users who was running an IOS 7.x email client on their iPad and that was still getting email as old as June of last year.

So if you have an IOS device and update to 8.x just watch out - you might lost your ability to retain as much email as you need.

Particularly difficult for one user who flew on a plane to Florida to deal with a family members funeral and some of the emails she needs are beyond one month old and not in her contacts and she didn't bring her pc.

I suggested an alternate solution for her but this is kind of a problem.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I also still see the no limit option at the top of all the options for two different Exchange accounts I have. Which options do you see for your Exchange accounts?

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
8.0.2 and No Limit on both exchanges I have setup. Get better IT people. Tell them to check their "Max email age filter."

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
I am running 8.0.2 on an iPhone 6. My work Exchange account gives me the following options:
  • No Limit
  • 1 Day
  • 3 Days
  • 1 Week
  • 2 Weeks
  • 1 Month
No Limit is at the top of the list in my settings, not at the bottom (which seems like where it should be but whatever).

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I also still have the "no limit" option on both my accounts (outlook.com and a company account).

Also keep in mind that you can do server-based search with Exchange accounts, i.e. search can find older mails on the server even if they are not on the device anymore.

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I also still have the "no limit" option on both my accounts (outlook.com and a company account).

Also keep in mind that you can do server-based search with Exchange accounts, i.e. search can find older mails on the server even if they are not on the device anymore.

This depends on your setup. We automatically archive into a system at work after 30 days (in non-inbox folders) that pulls them out of the Exchange hive so you can't do this. (They appear in outlook on the computer and when you open them it re-downloads the message.)

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Update

I've since been informed that staff on the domain I'm on only retain email on portable devices for one month by design.

Staff on the domain for sales individuals have no limit. So it doesn't explain her problem.

Weirdly, her IOS8 devices show one month.

Her old iPhone 4S (apparently not running IOS8 but IOS7) she had in her purse (she replaced it with an Android Galaxy - this also only showed 30 days of email) was able to be set up on wifi and she was able to go back to the summer before last for old emails so she got the info she needed.

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I've since been informed that staff on the domain I'm on only retain email on portable devices for one month by design.

Staff on the domain for sales individuals have no limit. So it doesn't explain her problem.

Weirdly, her IOS8 devices show one month.

Her old iPhone 4S (apparently not running IOS8 but IOS7) she had in her purse (she replaced it with an Android Galaxy - this also only showed 30 days of email) was able to be set up on wifi and she was able to go back to the summer before last for old emails so she got the info she needed.

Is possible they are using something non-conforming (like not setting a limit) and how ios handles this has changed. If they are following the real protocol, it works fine.

stacky66

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
Mail Days to Sync - No Limit

This is definitely a thing - the no limit option in 8.1. No change to Exchange server. We have fifty odd iphones on site - the No Limit function is not displaying on anything on iOS 8.1

Attachments

• IMG_0555.PNG
    IMG_0555.PNG
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,132

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is definitely a thing - the no limit option in 8.1. No change to Exchange server. We have fifty odd iphones on site - the No Limit function is not displaying on anything on iOS 8.1
Still shows up as an option in iOS 8.1 for me, as it always did.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,410

stacky66

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
Voila! Fixed

Deleted and recreated the Exchange email account on the phone, and there it is.
This is both gratifying and infuriating

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.