Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dong2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Denmark
Hi there,

I don't know if the tittle make sense, but anyway - If I want a Smart Home setup with MATTER and wifi, but I don't have (or want) a Smart Home Hub like AppleTV or HomePod, could I skip this step with a Google Nest Wifi Pro (that support MATTER and Homekit) ?

I already own a Macbook air, iPhone 12 mini, and iPad 9 gen.

IOT I own is:
4x Philips Hue Light strips plus
1x Philips bridge (Hope I can skip this? with MATTER)

if it doesn't make sense or any questions don't hesitate to write

//
dong2016

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Hi there,

I don't know if the tittle make sense, but anyway - If I want a Smart Home setup with MATTER and wifi, but I don't have (or want) a Smart Home Hub like AppleTV or HomePod, could I skip this step with a Google Nest Wifi Pro (that support MATTER and Homekit) ?

I already own a Macbook air, iPhone 12 mini, and iPad 9 gen.

IOT I own is:
4x Philips Hue Light strips plus
1x Philips bridge (Hope I can skip this? with MATTER)

if it doesn't make sense or any questions don't hesitate to write

//
dong2016
Can’t skip the Hue Bridge. The Hue system works on Zigbee, not Wi-Fi. Then the Hue Bridge connects over Ethernet to your router. The Bridge is what connects to third party platforms, not the bulbs. Not sure why you’d want to ditch the Hue Bridge though. In my experience, of all the different smart home connection protocols, Zigbee has been the fastest and most reliable. I mean, you already own it. Not like you have to buy one.

Do you plan on expanding your IOT devices or just sticking with those Hue bulbs you already have? If the latter, then you’re all set as you are. Hue already connects with just about every major smart home platform out there.

Dong2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Denmark
Can’t skip the Hue Bridge. The Hue system works on Zigbee, not Wi-Fi. Then the Hue Bridge connects over Ethernet to your router. The Bridge is what connects to third party platforms, not the bulbs. Not sure why you’d want to ditch the Hue Bridge though. In my experience, of all the different smart home connection protocols, Zigbee has been the fastest and most reliable. I mean, you already own it. Not like you have to buy one.

Do you plan on expanding your IOT devices or just sticking with those Hue bulbs you already have? If the latter, then you’re all set as you are. Hue already connects with just about every major smart home platform out there.

Okay, I just thought that when you updated the Philips Hue to MATTER, you could get rid of the bridge and just use the iPhone/iPad (almost) directly with light strips, without the use of a bridge. I know you have to use a home hub as a link between iPhone and Lightstrips e.g. AppleTv or HomePod. But I just thought if you bought Google Nest Wifi Pro (that support MATTER and Homekit) you could skip it?... So what is point to update to MATTER support?

Dong2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Denmark

Yes I'm planning to buy other IOT brands too.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Okay, I just thought that when you updated the Philips Hue to MATTER, you could get rid of the bridge and just use the iPhone/iPad (almost) directly with light strips, without the use of a bridge. I know you have to use a home hub as a link between iPhone and Lightstrips e.g. AppleTv or HomePod. But I just thought if you bought Google Nest Wifi Pro (that support MATTER and Homekit) you could skip it?... So what is point to update to MATTER support?
For HomeKit users, only thing Matter is good for is to get devices into HomeKit that otherwise aren’t natively supported. HomeKit has always been lacking in available devices and device categories.

For something like Philips Hue that already supports every Smart Home platform under the Sun, I don’t see any reason whatsoever to update it to Matter. You actually lose functionality like the HomeKit Adaptive Lighting feature, until Matter updates to support that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.