Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is the iOS music app getting worse and less user-intuitive?

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Yes, but it's not the end of the world - it's still easy to use

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • No, it's fine

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • No, but could use some improvement

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Yes, but you're still a grouchy luddite, Keys

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steve would never have allowed this

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • 2GB RAM

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Hi all,

Less of a question and more a thread to spark a discussion, I suppose. I remember the days when the Music app was much simpler and had big ol' pause/play/skip buttons, making it easy to simply select a song and play it. Big buttons also mean you can quickly and easily change songs in the car, etc.

It seems to be getting worse and worse now, making swiping gestures like a magician to try and conjure up functions that, I would argue, are the most basic functions necessary to a Music app. Sure it looks prettier now, but it just seems far more awkward.

What does everybody else think: am I being a grouchy luddite, or do you yearn for the days when things were a little simpler?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I would have preferred a choice of "Yes it's a PITA but usable."

Heh, that's contrary to my experience. The more I'm using it I've found a number of bugs with the volume slider not working and the scrubbing being absolutely useless. Has anybody else had these issues?

Where's the "I like grapes" option?

Sorry buddy, if I was to put that on then there'd be a huge 'seedless' vs 'seeded' discussion, which would eventually put this thread into PRSI :p

Reactions: IrishVixen

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Yes. The best music app was on iOS 6. Ever since then it's been downhill. Usable yes but the layout and menus and sorting is terrible.

Black Tiger

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
It is awful. It has been pretty bad since iOS 6, but now with iTunes Match, iCloud music, apple music, music store, drm differences between them etc it is a huge mess.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I miss the music app from the first few gens. It seems that iCloud just causes a huge mixup with music on the device. When they announced iTunes Match, I was excited, but the program just demolished my library, smart playlists didn't work, and play counts were unreliable. The most recent music app makes it harder to switch between artist, album and song view. I think the interface was better the first time. I also don't like how some artists have personalized pics, while others do not. There's other issues as well.

The music app and iTunes are the main reasons I use an iPhone, and I won't be switching soon, but I really hope Apple refines the app. I think it's speed and ease of use on even the first-gen iPhone has been lost.

Suspended
Oct 1, 2014
Vox was available for free on the iTunes Store just a day or two ago, and I downloaded it. It's excellent as a Music app replacement, drawing its song library from the Music app, compatibility with more file types such as FLAC. It uses large album artworks and has no clutter at all. Another bonus: it doesn't separate Compilations from other album types. It sounds good too, and even has the option to disable up/downsampling by forcing whatever is iOS's equivalent of Audio MIDI Setup to the same sampling frequency as the chosen song.

Unfortunately, it has now gone back up to the regular price of $5.99.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I have cleared almost all messed icons through restrictions and turning off apple music.
VOX performance is very bad on my previous iPhone 6 Plus, so I just delete it and never turn back. Don't know how it is in iPhone 6s Plus.
Now I use Marvis as my main music player, and use stock one when I want to edit playlist, although, yes, if it can support bulk selection on more places that would be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.