Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiamSmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2015
Hello MacRumor users, I'm enquiring about the possibility of an overclock for iOS devices however I have found nothing other than modifications to the .plist file... Today I stumbled across a video which was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaZCFaWtHkE

The performance of the device seems far snappier than on my own device which has the same tweaks enabled that were present on their springboard, a quick scan through the comments revealed this 'iBoot exploit clocks it at 1.8', another comment from the same user states 'it's all to do with an iBoot IOS boot exploit. It is possible to do it on any iDevice eg. My 5S is running at 2.8ghz and 1883mhz to the ram'.

I'm writing to attain clarification upon this possible exploit, to see if anyone else has heard or even performed this modification to achieve an overclock, any reference or help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

LiamSmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2015
From what I know iBoot is Apple's bootloader which is the initialisation of a computerised system, if someone were able to reverse engineer this bootloader it could be possible to alter the clock speeds before the OS takes over, theoretically... According to this video it has been achieved, if a device can be jailbroken to remove restrictions, then surely something can be done in that respect.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
iBoot is fully signed and protected. Because of this, it is not possible to do anything, even read it, on an iPhone 5S. Not since the iPhone 4 has the iBoot been compromised. Even then, overclocking was not possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.