Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike199024

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
hello, I need a method of organising my photos and videos, I take a lot of them and like to back them up to my external hard drive but getting them to the computer seems a pain.

Right now I’m manually going through each stupidly named album on my iPhone on windows explorer and dragging and dropping to the hard drive and then deleting them. Just want to know if there is a way of creating an album on iOS photos app that the pc understands and sees.

Ideal situation - sort my pics and vids into albums I create on the iOS photos app. Plug it in my computer. Find each album on Windows explorer or even a windows program then do my stuff.

I don’t want any WiFi apps because the only WiFi I have is my personal hotspot on my phone and I can’t get the phone and the computer on the same network using that method.

Thank you

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
iCloud for Windows will sync everything to your PC. I must admit that I don’t use it though. I do use it to share photos from Windows 10 to iCloud Photostream. It’s incredibly slow and buggy on a Windows, but it works if your patient.

I have an Adobe Creative cloud photography subscription, so I use Lightroom as the sync tool. I have also used Google Photos. Regardless of which cloud option you choose, expect to pay to upgrade your storage. iCloud storage is cheap.

mike199024

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Is there anything that does it by usb sync only?

The photo albums I make in the photos app don’t show on pc that’s what I’m after. Some software that shows the pictures and videos I put into a iOS photos app user created album on the pc.

The user created albums on photos app seem to be only used on the iPhone itself. Not any other file managers

Last edited:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Is there anything that does it by usb sync only?

The photo albums I make in the photos app don’t show on pc that’s what I’m after. Some software that shows the pictures and videos I put into a iOS photos app user created album on the pc.

The user created albums on photos app seem to be only used on the iPhone itself. Not any other file managers

I Copy and paste all folders in my iPhone's photo media. Then I just let the PC organize it by dates.

mike199024

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Nope! Photo sync doesn’t do what I need. It only does WiFi only. No usb.

And how have you done that? The iPhone only displays weird looking folders in Windows explorer. Nothing that I’ve written on my album names.

Surely this can’t be impossible to do? What’s the point in being able to create albums if that album is only able to be read by an iPhone

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007

And how have you done that? The iPhone only displays weird looking folders in Windows explorer. Nothing that I’ve written on my album names.

Surely this can’t be impossible to do? What’s the point in being able to create albums if that album is only able to be read by an iPhone

Windows asks me if I wish to import the pictures. I just click yes. They get sent off to My Pictures where I organize them by data and trip folder or reg. folder.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA

See this article:
https://www.photosync-app.com/photo...g-a-personal-hotspot-with-your-usb-cable.html

"If your telecommunications provider allows to use the Personal Hotspot on your iOS device, you can use it to transfer between your iOS device and your Windows 10 computer if you have not Wi-Fi network available."
[doublepost=1518199664][/doublepost]
Windows asks me if I wish to import the pictures. I just click yes. They get sent off to My Pictures where I organize them by data and trip folder or reg. folder.

But aren't you still having to organize them on the PC? Of course the metadata makes some of that automatic: At least for location, date, etc. I think the OP wants the albums created on iOS to transfer to the PC with the associated photos inside them.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
But aren't you still having to organize them on the PC? Of course the metadata makes some of that automatic: At least for location, date, etc. I think the OP wants the albums created on iOS to transfer to the PC with the associated photos inside them.

Like I said, I organize by dates. Makes the process much easier.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015

There is nothing that allows you to access the Photos app folders from Windows, and no way to make new albums on the phone from your PC. This is Apple's way of telling you to buy a Mac.

Reactions: Kekinash

Kekinash

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
-
There is nothing that allows you to access the Photos app folders from Windows, and no way to make new albums on the phone from your PC. This is Apple's way of telling you to buy a Mac.

Yeap , you're right. I give up long time trying to keep my photos organized and in sync between windows and iOS, so I bought a MacBook and problem solved. iCloud photo sync for windows is just pathetic and useless. your only options is or move away from iOS and buy an Android phone or move away from windows and buy a MacBook...

mike199024

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
I’ve always loved the MacBook but haven’t got the cash :( looks like I’ll have to back them up more often :( this is rubbish. A simple file explorer from Apple wouldn’t go a miss. I’d go for WiFi sync, got a workflow in my phone that uploads certain pics in a certain folder I create them deletes them off my phone. But having to download them off Dropbox can be a pain! Specially when I’m got videos that take up about 4gb. I’ll have to use a certain software with usb cable then order them myself. Pain in the rear!

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
Save photos to Camera Roll, move them to PC, sort into folders by date, then sync those folders back to the phone. Been doing this process for years.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Save photos to Camera Roll, move them to PC, sort into folders by date, then sync those folders back to the phone. Been doing this process for years.

iOS Photos can already sort by date without any work required. The collections in iOS are based on date and location. Then there are smart albums for people, photo type (selfie, burst, portrait, etc). Just about any modern photo library application can automatically display by date and location. Many can also use algorithms to recognize faces and photos that are similar, and can read other metadata like camera make/model, focal length, aperture, iso, keyword tags, title, caption, rating, etc. For this reason I create albums/collections or keywords that describe the what (event or things for example) or the who, since the where and the when are already known.

I definitely agree that more advanced sorting is more easily done on the computer, or perhaps using an app light Lightroom mobile. The iOS Photos app just isn’t as flexible when it comes to finding and sorting as you add to albums.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
iOS Photos can already sort by date without any work required. The collections in iOS are based on date and location. Then there are smart albums for people, photo type (selfie, burst, portrait, etc). Just about any modern photo library application can automatically display by date and location. Many can also use algorithms to recognize faces and photos that are similar, and can read other metadata like camera make/model, focal length, aperture, iso, keyword tags, title, caption, rating, etc. For this reason I create albums/collections or keywords that describe the what (event or things for example) or the who, since the where and the when are already known.

I definitely agree that more advanced sorting is more easily done on the computer, or perhaps using an app light Lightroom mobile. The iOS Photos app just isn’t as flexible when it comes to finding and sorting as you add to albums.
Doesn't help much if you want to keep your computer and phone organized the same way.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Doesn't help much if you want to keep your computer and phone organized the same way.

If you’re using photo organization software that can read metadata, things will automagically be the same (at least by date and location) on both desktop computer and iPhone! I would add that I do create folders on my computer by year and month whenever I copy images off my Olympus or Nikon cameras, but everything from iOS just ends up in a single folder. Lightroom doesn’t really care about the actual folder structure in the windows file system so iOS Photos from December 2017 appear alongside Olympus photos from the same period of time even though they are in different physical folders. I use LR on both desktop and mobile rather than the native photo apps on Windows or iOS so my personal collections/albums that I manually sort are consistent between devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.