Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 9, 2013
I have a couple apps on my phone which has updates available but I don't want to update them.

If I backup my phone via iTunes/iCloud and restore it, for the apps which have updates, will they be updated or will they stay on the old version?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
An iTunes backup will use the versions currently in iTunes on your computer.
For an iCloud backup, it might install the newer versions.

Depending on how many apps you want to preserve, you could always remove them from the device and do a backup/sync - then after the restore, reinstall them using iTunes.

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 9, 2013
I'm not sure. Which apps do you not want to update and why?

It's mainly a few games and some apps because don't like whats in the updates.

----------

An iTunes backup will use the versions currently in iTunes on your computer.
For an iCloud backup, it might install the newer versions.

Depending on how many apps you want to preserve, you could always remove them from the device and do a backup/sync - then after the restore, reinstall them using iTunes.

So if I use iTunes to perform a backup, it would take the apps and data from my phone as well? Or would this only happen if I used iTunes to download the apps?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
iTunes will/can only install/reinstall the versions that have been download to it.

You should be doing regular backups to either iTunes or iCloud (I prefer iTunes, more user control)

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 9, 2013
Thanks.

I keep the iCloud backup on but I've started doing backups on iTunes whenever a new version of iOS comes out.

I don't use iTunes for anything except for backing up.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I recently discovered this when I restored my new iPhone from a backup, and then had 40 updates (which I had already downloaded pre-backup). You need to update the apps on iTunes, or transfer the purchases across to update them, otherwise it will restore the version of the app you currently have in iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.