Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
One of the best things about Android is the ability to share, for example, a Web page to just about any app installed on the phone such as whatsapp. The same sharing method is used to drop images onto dropBox or whatever. It's a hit more cumbersome on ios and you have go to safari, copy the Web page address, switch to the other app and paste it there. Doesn't sound that cumbersome until you try the android way and then you think why on earth Apple won't allow that.

I hoped sharable extensions in ios8 might just be that but from what I understand it's a way for developers to add widgets to the lock screen. Is that correct?

I really hope we see this open sharinG in ios9

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Share extensions are basically that, and separate from something like widgets or actionable notifications (which are other new things in iOS 8). The thing about all of those though is that the developers have to add those items to their apps, so until they do, they don't exist for those apps basically (a good example is WhatsApp which just added some sharable extensions in the most recent update that was just released today).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.