Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Hi MRers,

Is anyone out there a real whizz with stocks and finance? I love the look of the new iOS 12 stocks app and check it often, but there doesn't seem to be a legend anywhere that explains what some of the information actually means.

In particular I'm confused about two points. In the attached image I've circled two areas in red:

1. Shows a percentage increase or decrease of the stock, but over what time frame? Is it just showing the % change for the current day only, and if so I guess it's based on NYSE opening times? (I'm based in Japan)

2. The trend line also, is this showing the current day only as well? And what does the dotted-line mean? It sometimes doesn't appear for all stocks (see AMZN for example).

I've searched everywhere but I can't seem to find any documentation for this...

fullsizeoutput_6249.jpeg

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi MRers,

Is anyone out there a real whizz with stocks and finance? I love the look of the new iOS 12 stocks app and check it often, but there doesn't seem to be a legend anywhere that explains what some of the information actually means.

In particular I'm confused about two points. In the attached image I've circled two areas in red:

1. Shows a percentage increase or decrease of the stock, but over what time frame? Is it just showing the % change for the current day only, and if so I guess it's based on NYSE opening times? (I'm based in Japan)

2. The trend line also, is this showing the current day only as well? And what does the dotted-line mean? It sometimes doesn't appear for all stocks (see AMZN for example).

I've searched everywhere but I can't seem to find any documentation for this...

View attachment 830976
1. All that information there is for the current day.

2. This is for the current day as well. The dotted line is the closing price from the previous day--basically the price against which the current day is based off of, in that chart as well as the change amount and percentages on the right.

It's pretty much fairly standard in terms of how stock tickers work.

• Love
Reactions: kdum8

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
1. All that information there is for the current day.

2. This is for the current day as well. The dotted line is the closing price from the previous day--basically the price against which the current day is based off of, in that chart as well as the change amount and percentages on the right.

It's pretty much fairly standard in terms of how stock tickers work.

OK that makes sense! Thank you very much :)

Sorry, I'm not a stock aficionado yet so not that familiar with stock tickers. How come for some of them (Amazon) there is no dotted line, does that mean there was no closing price?

Reactions: C DM

jb310

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2017
How come for some of them (Amazon) there is no dotted line, does that mean there was no closing price?

It means the previous closing price was so much higher (or lower) that it's hard to see on the current chart. Try looking at the top or bottom of the chart, and you might see the dotted line there.

• Love
Reactions: kdum8

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
It means the previous closing price was so much higher (or lower) that it's hard to see on the current chart. Try looking at the top or bottom of the chart, and you might see the dotted line there.

Ok that makes sense. Thanks! It all looks a lot easier to read now ;)

Reactions: jb310
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.