Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Thanks for all the help everyone. I decided on the S20+. Kicking myself that I didn’t stick with Android sooner, Apple is so restrictive.
Not sure if that's a good idea unless you got a good deal. The S21+ cost less than the launch price of the S20+, and both the Snapdragon 888/Exynos 2100 seem to be a good jump over the SD865 (and especially the Exynos 990). If you're paying close to $800/900, might as well get the S21+.

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I have a Samsung S10 for work and an iPhone XR for personal use. Although I like Android's more flexible nature, I always find iOS to have a better user experience. It just seems to run smoother and more efficiently. Also, the apps on iOS just seem to be more polished than Android apps. I'm glad I have both devices as I can switch from one to the other, but I don't think I could use the Samsung as an everyday device.

iCorz87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Sydney,Australia
Not sure if that's a good idea unless you got a good deal. The S21+ cost less than the launch price of the S20+, and both the Snapdragon 888/Exynos 2100 seem to be a good jump over the SD865 (and especially the Exynos 990). If you're paying close to $800/900, might as well get the S21+.
The S21 is still in pre order stages in Australia. I preferred the look of the S20+ over the S21 line and also missing the charger was another point for me going from ios, yeah probably could have purchased it separately but I'm happy with my decision.

iCorz87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Sydney,Australia
I have a Samsung S10 for work and an iPhone XR for personal use. Although I like Android's more flexible nature, I always find iOS to have a better user experience. It just seems to run smoother and more efficiently. Also, the apps on iOS just seem to be more polished than Android apps. I'm glad I have both devices as I can switch from one to the other, but I don't think I could use the Samsung as an everyday device.
Maybe I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase, but I'm enjoying it and I've kept my ipad and mac book air so I still get use of apples OS

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The S21 is still in pre order stages in Australia. I preferred the look of the S20+ over the S21 line and also missing the charger was another point for me going from ios, yeah probably could have purchased it separately but I'm happy with my decision.

USB-C chargers are universal and cheap. You can get one from Ikea which has a reputation for quality chargers for less than half the price of Apple's.

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/askstorm-40w-usb-charger-dark-grey-30461194/

Reactions: iCorz87

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I have some Apple chargers - 29W and 30W with USB-C. Came with iPad, MacBook, and I always pick up spares. The last 4 years of S8+ and Note series too.

Reactions: iCorz87

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Maybe I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase, but I'm enjoying it and I've kept my ipad and mac book air so I still get use of apples OS
The beautiful walled garden (iOS) that is full of sunshine and flowers will be awaiting your return in 2 weeks time. We’ll accept you back with open arms. ?

iCorz87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Sydney,Australia
The beautiful walled garden (iOS) that is full of sunshine and flowers will be awaiting your return in 2 weeks time. We’ll accept you back with open arms.
And that's what I'm enjoying most about Android, not being restricted to where icons can go or what font I have to use and bixby routines is amazing

Reactions: jamezr

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
And that's what I'm enjoying most about Android, not being restricted to where icons can go or what font I have to use and bixby routines is amazing
Got a feeling the novelty will wear off sooner or later, you’ll end up missing the polish and consistency of iOS.

At the end of the day, if you’re happy with your purchase that’s the main thing.

Me personally I can’t do Samsung phones, I find they’re not a well thought out product, optimized poorly when it comes to software/hardware, not a efficient operating system.

Heard good things about google pixel phones/software, but their hardware and chipsets are mediocre, privacy nowhere to be seen.

Deep down I know if I leave iOS it’ll be a downgrade for me.

Had 2 Samsung phones in the past, both experiences were horrible. Pretty safe to say iOS is what works well for me.

• Haha
Reactions: animalx

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I think having a 2nd backup / alternate phone is a must. Also, not about either/or. Once you pay off one phone.

I keep finding more I can do with Android. Never gets too old or tied. Started out in 2011. And yes they've changed.

Apple adopting 120 mhz screen? Where have we seen that.

But you do have to invest time energy and your greenbacks.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Got a feeling the novelty will wear off sooner or later, you’ll end up missing the polish and consistency of iOS.
I think polish and consistency applies to Android as well.. especially Stock Android. I mean, I get it… your such an iPhone advocate. But Android is a solid alternative to those who prefer not to use an iPhone. I, for one… am fully aware the advantages of having an iPhone, but I choose Android for features I prefer.
And this is public platform… we have this segment categorized as Alternative to iOS, mostly people who are curious about Android or Android enthusiasts. However, you appear to have no enthusiasm about Android nor are you curious about Android. No shade toward you, but it’s like you don’t bring much balanced thoughts toward offering advice on Android or anything surrounding Android. It’s pretty much heavily negative.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
I think having a 2nd backup / alternate phone is a must. Also, not about either/or. Once you pay off one phone.

I keep finding more I can do with Android. Never gets too old or tied. Started out in 2011. And yes they've changed.

Apple adopting 120 mhz screen? Where have we seen that.

But you do have to invest time energy and your greenbacks.
I agree with you. The difference in features is night and day to me. This even goes right down to the simple stuff. For example, I found dialing a contact on iPhone to be cumbersome and unnecessarily more involved than it needed to be. Whereas on Android, I can simply open the phone app, tap a number or two on the keypad and the person's name comes up and I press call. It takes me about maybe one second to dial my mom. Another example of a simple feature that I use constantly that I can't get on iPhone, is the smart lock. I don't have to unlock my phone at home or in the car. That is very convenient. I didn't realize just how convenient it was until I had to use an iPhone and I found myself constantly having to unlock the phone. It was beyond annoying. It made me start to not like having to pull the phone out, since I kept having to unlock it over and over, instead of being able to go straight to using it. That was particularly irritating if I had my phone sitting on a table.

• Haha
Reactions: aggie99 and LFC2020

andyflet

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2021
Sorry if it's off the topic. Did I get it right, that some of you use apple watch having an android phone? How do you synchronise? :rolleyes:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Sorry if it's off the topic. Did I get it right, that some of you use apple watch having an android phone? How do you synchronise? :rolleyes:
Unfortunately, that's not possible. Some just use both Android and iPhone to have Apple Watch functionality.

Reactions: jamezr

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014

At the end of the day, if you’re happy with your purchase that’s the main thing.

Me personally I can’t do Samsung phones, I find they’re not a well thought out product, optimized poorly when it comes to software/hardware, not a efficient operating system.

Heard good things about google pixel phones/software, but their hardware and chipsets are mediocre, privacy nowhere to be seen.

Deep down I know if I leave iOS it’ll be a downgrade for me.

Had 2 Samsung phones in the past, both experiences were horrible. Pretty safe to say iOS is what works well for me.
Same here. Iphone user for 11 years now in my personal life. In my work life have an Android work phone. The first Samsung phone I had was absolute trash but the next one I got is quite nice. What Android phones cannot complete with though is that they don't work well together with other devices (i.e. tablet, laptop, watch) and support is often very limited. Airdrop is something I use all the time and am well-entrenched in Apple. I much prefer Apple hardware as its value holds and is supported very well on a number of fronts. The quality of apps is also far superior. On the plus side, there are some good things with Android, but you end up having to make too many sacrifices for me which is rather ironic. So what you gain on one hand you lose on the other. You still have a lot of flexibility within IOS as lots of services I go between - Apple, Microsoft, Google, a variety of email providers for they offer.

• Haha
Reactions: animalx and LFC2020

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Using S21U Ultra, 4 years of Note along with S Plus, both. Had two 6S Plus iphone because first was part of huge batch with battery problem.

I always have PC, Mac, along with the phones. Never went solo though. And it isn't a horse race but both have their pluses and advantages, by a neck.

I tried to like the iphone 12 but it didn't offer anything really that my 3 year old X model couldn't do. I like what I can learn to do with S10+ and now Note20 and S21U.

iCorz87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Sydney,Australia
It's been probably 4 weeks since I jumped ship. I'm not missing anything really. I find that the galaxy watch 3 works well with my phone. The biggest part is just working through the OS for me. Coming from someone who was deep into the apple ecosystem for so many years I think it's just the familiarity of a product that really keeps you there. At the end of the day they both have phones,watches, Bluetooth ear buds etc

tmmacops

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2019
Same here. Iphone user for 11 years now in my personal life. In my work life have an Android work phone. The first Samsung phone I had was absolute trash but the next one I got is quite nice. What Android phones cannot complete with though is that they don't work well together with other devices (i.e. tablet, laptop, watch) and support is often very limited. Airdrop is something I use all the time and am well-entrenched in Apple. I much prefer Apple hardware as its value holds and is supported very well on a number of fronts. The quality of apps is also far superior. On the plus side, there are some good things with Android, but you end up having to make too many sacrifices for me which is rather ironic. So what you gain on one hand you lose on the other. You still have a lot of flexibility within IOS as lots of services I go between - Apple, Microsoft, Google, a variety of email providers for they offer.
This has been my experience as well. They do a lot of nice stuff, but the integration and reliability of it, lacks IMO. You can get 3rd party apps that mimic Apple, but they’re not the same. Samsung and Pixel Link to Windows is ok, but nothing close to the integration that Apple offers.

I do like a lot of the Samsung and Pixel features, but to me it’s all about consistency, reliability, and not having to think about it.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Let me chime in...

I just bought a older macbook to learn MACOS, this is the first time using it and I like it alot... granted it's not the latest OS "Catalina".

However, looking at it now for most people the integration isn't really that much of a big deal, MACOS can sync IMESSAGES not regular texts... that's a big difference.

I can get all messages on my windows PC but connecting it to my IPHONE with DELL QUICK CONNECT software and yes the software is terrible but it gets all the messages coming into my phone.

Apple is the easier implementation but it's not necessarily the most feature packed, Windows can link with NOTE phones and do the same but it's built in.

Chromebook can do the same with pixels or android phones.

I kinda think the apple integration thing is a bit overrated but it's the easiest to use. Alot of the integration we won't fully take advantage of anyways.

I mean if we being honest Opera browser can integrate with What's APP and show all the messages in the browser.

Alot of us still get messages from regular non iphone users so imessage is important but what about the regular users?

Reactions: animalx and jamezr

RannenUAZi

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2021
plus, I hate huge phones, so for a while I had se of the first generation as the main one and galaxy s8 as a work phone

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
... who forces widgets on left, app library on right, our idea of home screen layout.

The smallest iphone and the Max use the same grid layout. Just blowup home with no regard for UI or aesthetics.

Using a pen on ipad, but you can't flick down on the screen to show notifications, and even if you flick from the top, you can't with pen (don't have ipad pro, just ipad, but assume it's the same).

Seems amateurish. Not thought out. Someone tied the programmers arms behind their back.

Last edited:

tmmacops

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2019
Let me chime in...

I just bought a older macbook to learn MACOS, this is the first time using it and I like it alot... granted it's not the latest OS "Catalina".

However, looking at it now for most people the integration isn't really that much of a big deal, MACOS can sync IMESSAGES not regular texts... that's a big difference.

I can get all messages on my windows PC but connecting it to my IPHONE with DELL QUICK CONNECT software and yes the software is terrible but it gets all the messages coming into my phone.

Apple is the easier implementation but it's not necessarily the most feature packed, Windows can link with NOTE phones and do the same but it's built in.

Chromebook can do the same with pixels or android phones.

I kinda think the apple integration thing is a bit overrated but it's the easiest to use. Alot of the integration we won't fully take advantage of anyways.

I mean if we being honest Opera browser can integrate with What's APP and show all the messages in the browser.

Alot of us still get messages from regular non iphone users so imessage is important but what about the regular users?
Most folks go the Mac route due to its simplicity. Kind of a set it and forget it thing. I’ve used a DELL XPS and the Windows Link, and you’re right it does do a lot, in fact more. But the idea you get a Mac and an iPhone, you don’t really need to do anything is the appeal for most.

Reactions: cuzo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.