Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashton18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
Atlanta / Los Angeles
I just purchased an iPhone 13 Pro Max (I’m coming from an iPhone 12 Pro Max) and like the title says, the UI feels extremely fluid and don’t really notice any stuttering while scrolling on Safari or while multitasking..

I also own an iPad Pro with ProMotion and turned off the 120hz setting in Accessibility just to see if I could see a difference and it seems like as soon as you turn off the setting, the UI feels extremely janky and stuttery.. almost like it’s on purpose.

How come it doesn’t feel like that on the iPhone?

Is it due to the screen size difference?

Is iOS on current iPhones running at a higher frame rate than iPad Pros with the Motion accessibility setting turned off?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Screen size is my guess for the iPad Pro. You'll notice it more in games and rapid scrolling.

I couldn't stand the Air 4 when I got it earlier this year because of that. I had gotten so used to the smooth scrolling. But what was the final determiner? Apple Pencil. That requires promotion imo.

But I realize we're talking iPhones.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as you with my 12 Pro Max - scrolling on this thing feels great and doesn't see to stutter. Which tells me, I'm happy keeping my 12 Pro Max for another year or two.

I wonder if the 12 Pro Max reduces frame rate on static pages?

ashton18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
Atlanta / Los Angeles
Screen size is my guess for the iPad Pro. You'll notice it more in games and rapid scrolling.

I couldn't stand the Air 4 when I got it earlier this year because of that. I had gotten so used to the smooth scrolling. But what was the final determiner? Apple Pencil. That requires promotion imo.

But I realize we're talking iPhones.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as you with my 12 Pro Max - scrolling on this thing feels great and doesn't see to stutter. Which tells me, I'm happy keeping my 12 Pro Max for another year or two.

I wonder if the 12 Pro Max reduces frame rate on static pages?

I hadn’t given much thought about gaming.. not too much of a gamer myself. I’m sure that those who are will notice a difference.

I think the frame rate on current iPhones is locked in at a specific number, the variable frame rate requires some sort of display tech that these phones don’t have.. that’s partly why the battery life on the newer models is much better.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
120hz on iPhone 13 Pro requires a LTPO OLED display.

It would've been available last year, but Samsung couldn't produce the displays at scale quick enough.

Current iPhones are 60hz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.