Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

first time user

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2014
Dear Sufferrers:

I received an IPAD Model A1430 from my son recently. While using the device, an update to IOS 8.1 popped up on my screen asking if I would like to update. I did want to update and pressed the button to do so.

It tool a long time for the update to download but when it did download, it started installing. The installation got to about 9\10ths of the install, and then froze. I let it sit like that overnight and in the morning the install had not moved forward so I shut down the device and later attempted to turn on the device.

What I got was a rectangle on a black screen with a thin strip of red at the beginning of the rectangle. It then went away, and now I have a completely useless IPAD. I am new to the second coming of Christ so you can see how disappointed I am with the Apple folks.

What is the issue? Is it a completely dead battery which will cost me lots of my hard earned cash to fix? If I get my hands on that scruffy kid in the PC vs MAC ads, I'm gonna choke him.

Respectfully,
James

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
Plug into computer, hold the power and home button for ten seconds, release power button until iTunes pops up and says it's in recovery mode. Then, restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.