Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Etienooo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2019
There have been a lot of changes to the UX I really hate over the last iOS version, the biggest one is the trend towards subfolders

In iOS16 I’ve noticed 3 new ones:
- In Maps, you now have to tap twice to change the type of transport, once to open the subfolder and once to choose it. I suppose that if you almost always use your default mode of transportation it’s fine. But as a European who often switch between car, subway and walking it’s super frustrating.
- When iOS wants to generate a strong password automatically, if you want to create your own password instead they added yet another subfolder Other Options where there is only one option. So one more additional tap for no reason.

These are little things but they are super frustrating. It feels like Apple is trying to always add more options to iOS as all the basic features are already there, but they don’t care about keeping the simplicity of the UX while doing it.

On the same note, I also hated how annotate was alone in a subfolder in the Photo app for no reason. It has been fixed but it took them a really long time for something that should never have been made in the first place though.

Outside of all the useless subfolders I have a couple other frustrations:
- In the Music app, when showing the lyrics, it’s ridiculous that you have to tap/slide down a bar at the very top of the screen to get out of the view. It’s unreachable and you are stuck until you manage to tap it. It’s even more ridiculous on iPad with the 3 dots right above it making it super packed on a gigantic screen.
- When you set-up a new wallpaper for Lock Screen + Home Screen, for some reason it blurs it by default for the Home Screen. Why would they do that?
- You can now force touch the Lock Screen to change it, just like with the Apple Watch. It can be convenient for some I guess but on the 1st day after installing iOS16 my Lock Screen got changed accidentally in my pocket. I‘m very used to iOS and its features but it took me 5mn to understand what happened and get it back to normal. Don’t know how less tech averse people will react when their lockscreen just got replaced for no reason.

There are also a lot annoying features enabled by default, like the title in the note app and the new search button while it’s much easier to just pull down to invoke spotlight. Also, how is it that the gesture bar has been here for 5 years now and we still can’t hide it? it doesn’t bother me that much on iOS but it’s super annoying on iPad, especially while drawing.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.