Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is your opinion of iOS widgets?

• Love 'em!

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Hate 'em!

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Not bad but they need some work.

Votes: 46 64.8%
  • Try to use them but ...

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Come on Apple! Really?

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Keeping my thumbs crossed hoping that someday..

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
I hate that these new widgets don't update well. Sometimes it takes forever that they would refresh (like 1 hr), which is quite annoying with certain apps where you would like the latest info just the moment you swipe to the widget screen.

With "legacy" widgets (pre-iOS 14) it was much better because as soon as you swiped to the widget screen they would fetch the latest info, no matter how many times per hour you did it! With these new widgets the refresh time seems to be limited to like every 15-20min refresh AT MOST. Especially with 3rd party apps. I don't like it!

Fortunately certain apps still let you opt for the legacy widgets but sadly it seems that the trend is moving toward phasing these out in favor of the new widgets...

Reactions: dk001

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
The situation with widgets isn't close to perfect and will likely always suffer Apple's need to control the way we do things.

I left iPhone (5s) back when and moved to Android (Samsung Galaxy S series) and only now returned to iPhone. The Android phone within minutes of owning was customer to meet my needs which were more related to eyesight. IOS continued at that time to ignore people with needs for somewhat larger icons with matching text that would have resulted in fewer icons per screen. Today, I can get much of that achieved with key widgets. While not perfect it is a good start and yes, I forgot how much I enjoyed the eco facet between phone and mac computer.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I was initially exited but I come to realise that I spent little to no time on the Home Screen so they are pretty much of no use to me. The only one I really use is the weather widget.

I wouldn't mind an Instagram widget to show me the latest 3 photos or whatever with a swipe up, swipe down gesture but I get it, they want you to open the app.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
I miss health widgets like all water drink by today or last sleep time / quality.
Currently have automation for water drunk by whole day every 22:00…

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I actually want to love widgets but find them to be a huge disappointment because they do not live up to their potential. They are practically speaking just larger icons to the apps you already use instead of being interactive and avoiding you having to launch an app at all. What's worse is in iOS 16 they haven't advanced at all. I wish they would really invest in them because they could be really useful and really change they way you interact with your phone. Currently they seem to be just a superfluous way to change the look of the home screen and sell personalization rather than having a real function - which seems to be the new apple.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I wish they would really invest in them because they could be really useful and really change they way you interact with your phone. Currently they seem to be just a superfluous way to change the look of the home screen and sell personalization rather than having a real function - which seems to be the new apple.
Tbf, devs have done well trying to push widgets forward. I can understand that you want more interaction between widgets.. but using widget apps like Widgy brings quite a bit to the table. And then there's way to use widgets for shortcuts.

I do think Apple needs to add more features to widgets... but as it stands now, users can do quite a bit if they actually take the time to dive into it.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Tbf, devs have done well trying to push widgets forward. I can understand that you want more interaction between widgets.. but using widget apps like Widgy brings quite a bit to the table. And then there's way to use widgets for shortcuts.

I do think Apple needs to add more features to widgets... but as it stands now, users can do quite a bit if they actually take the time to dive into it.

But the typical user should not have to "dive in".

Reactions: StumpyBloke

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
But the typical user should not have to "dive in".
I agree. But on the flip side…. are the typical user asking for any of this? Perhaps, I could be wrong… but I wouldn’t classify you as the typical user.

Edit. I know it’s rude to make any assumptions about people. But it’s meant to be a compliment… I consider you more advanced than the typical user.

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
I agree. But on the flip side…. are the typical user asking for any of this? Perhaps, I could be wrong… but I wouldn’t classify you as the typical user.

Edit. I know it’s rude to make any assumptions about people. But it’s meant to be a compliment… I consider you more advanced than the typical user.

True - I'm definitely not the typical user.
However widgets are popular and most users I have dealt with want an almost plug and play with minimal user setup.
Apple needs that and possibly 3rd party will be able to provide in the future.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
True - I'm definitely not the typical user.
However widgets are popular and most users I have dealt with want an almost plug and play with minimal user setup.
Apple needs that and possibly 3rd party will be able to provide in the future.
I mean, I get it. i use iPadOS (practically iOS) and Android daily... they both have a different approach with widget. I’ve seen users who actually prefer the way iOS handles widgets compared to Android.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
I have tried several however the only one I use is a calendar for my work appts.
Stocks and weather in the Today screen.
Have stopped using all the rest.
Doing betas I have stopped really trying to dive into them. Keep hoping for some live or ability to set poll times.
Not so far :(

F27

macrumors regular
May 24, 2022
Having been a fan of Windows 8 and Windows Phone Live Tiles it was good to see similar functionality come to the iOS home screen, they don’t seem to have as much functionality or design consistency but they are OK. Need some work but it’s a good start.

mamcleod

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2022
The battery widget is the only one worth having for me. I could live without all of the others. I also think that Apple should provide the ability to disable them entirely. They should not re-spawn whenever I reset my home screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.