Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
So far I am loving this beta. No crashes and no real issues. I like the way messages look and especially the music app. Now, as other betas come forward, beta 2- and so on, may I simply keep this beta or will it one day simply expire causing me to then have to restore?

Some betas in the past have expired, others- like iOS8.2, beta 2 never have.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
If the regular trending is followed, yes it will expire in about 3-4 weeks.
Why would you not want to update to the upcoming betas ?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Sometimes an updated beta will change little things- like the font (iOS7, beta 1 comes to mind) or perhaps make alterations to features I like just the way they are. If this one is running effortlessly and without issue, I'd consider simply keeping it if future updated betas changed what I currently enjoy.
Sounds like it may be a moot point though if it does expire.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Judging about multiple crashes, other strangeness issues, I can hardly believe I will keep this beta indefinitely. I will for sure update it as long as new one is possible.
Sure, behavior of certain actions may change from beta to beta, but beta is still a beta actually.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Is this not the expiration dates on the profile?
May 12, 2019 and May 24, 2028.

Attachments

• IMG_0906.PNG
    IMG_0906.PNG
    191.9 KB · Views: 343

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
This is by far the most stable beta 1 that I can remember in a long time.

I agree, and in the past, there have been occasions when an update to a beta has caused it to not be as smooth, or a feature was removed.

I just wanted to know if I at least have the option to simply continue using this beta for as long as I'd like without it eventually putting my iPhone into a boot loop.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So far it is an excellent beta, but I am by no means experience no app crashes or freezes. Facebook and ESPN work about 50% of the time.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
This is by far the most stable beta 1 that I can remember in a long time.
Although the app switcher and Facebook freezes a lot, and Springboard restarts sometimes, I have to agree that this beta 1 is by far the best since iOS 7.

Don't think betas have expired for a while now.
They did and they will continue to do so. Apple will never want anybody to stay on a beta product, and they already have the system in place to force us install the latest beta.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They have to at some point, no?

If iOS 9 is used as an example then no, you can't keep it for the whole beta cycle: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/11486

Although the app switcher and Facebook freezes a lot, and Springboard restarts sometimes, I have to agree that this beta 1 is by far the best since iOS 7.

They did and they will continue to do so. Apple will never want anybody to stay on a beta product, and they already have the system in place to force us install the latest beta.
At the very least it seems like either there was a period of them not having expiration dates or something about how it all works was changed, as at some point last year one of the go-to people for things like expiration dates (among other things related to iOS) mentioned the following: http://twitter.com/ih8sn0w/status/608048639454400512

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
At the very least it seems like either there was a period of them not having expiration dates or something about how it all works was changed, as at some point last year one of the go-to people for things like expiration dates (among other things related to iOS) mentioned the following: http://twitter.com/ih8sn0w/status/608048639454400512
I'm guessing they changed something since a Google search shows threads about iOS 9 betas expiring.

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
I agree, and in the past, there have been occasions when an update to a beta has caused it to not be as smooth, or a feature was removed.

I just wanted to know if I at least have the option to simply continue using this beta for as long as I'd like without it eventually putting my iPhone into a boot loop.

If it is like other releases of iOS versions, I don't think there has ever been a compulsory update that makes you go from beta 1 to beta 2. At least not as far as the public beta has been concerned, not sure about dev beta though.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
When is the second beta usually pushed? Two weeks after the first beta?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.