Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
Hello,

I got a some strange bad situation here.

One of my family's macs is MBP 17' 2.1 (late 2006), that is running now OS X Lion 10.7.5

One of my family's iPhones is iPhone 6 iOS10.1.1 (unfortunately I've upgraded from iOS9).

I can't sync them because I can't install iTunes 12.5 on OS X Lion 10.7.5 (only 12.2.2.25 here), because it requires at least OS X Mavericks 10.9 (or higher).
But I can't install OS X Mavericks 10.9 (or higher) on this MBP 2.1 due to the Apple restrictions.

So when I plug this iPhone into this MBP i got the "trust" message on my iPhone every time, as well as "invalid response" on my MBP every time. As well as I can't import pictures in iPhoto, because it tells me that the phone is locked and I have to unlock it, but even if I do - that doesn't help.

But…
If I do not run iTunes, and just plug in plug out iPhone several times answering "trust this computer", after some tries iPhone doesn't ask me to "trust" and iPhoto starts automatically and I can import my pictures.

Ok, I don't agree with that madness with iOS10 iPhone out of sync with my MBP with no possibility to fix that, but I want to have the possibility to download my photos at least!

So the question is why this successful connection with Mac/iPhoto does happen from time to time and how to make it permanent?

P.S.
Or maybe there are some other ideas on how to sync these two devices, except buying new MBP or downgrade iPhone.
Maybe force install iTunes 12.5 somehow?

P.P.S. I read the guides about how to install Mavericks+ OSs on unsupported Macs, but unfortunately graphics card on this MPB is below 512mb, and looks like it won't work.

Thanks in advance.

Buggyflayer

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2014
West Sussex, UK
Do you have the Image Capture app in Utilities? That should extract the photos off the iPhone.

Pretty sure you should still be able to use iCloud to sync the photos too. Before trying this make sure you have your photos copied safely onto the Mac. If I recall correctly, leave iCloud Photo Library off on your iPhone but enable My Photo Stream & it should sync with iPhoto. You'll need to connect the iPhone via USB occasionally and run Image Capture with the box checked to Delete after import or your phone will fill-up, deleting them on the itself phone might also delete them off the Mac via iCloud so make sure you're backing-up to another HDD.

Malem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
Do you have the Image Capture app in Utilities? That should extract the photos off the iPhone.

Pretty sure you should still be able to use iCloud to sync the photos too. Before trying this make sure you have your photos copied safely onto the Mac. If I recall correctly, leave iCloud Photo Library off on your iPhone but enable My Photo Stream & it should sync with iPhoto. You'll need to connect the iPhone via USB occasionally and run Image Capture with the box checked to Delete after import or your phone will fill-up, deleting them on the itself phone might also delete them off the Mac via iCloud so make sure you're backing-up to another HDD.

Thanks for the idea, I will try this. Never used iCloud for photos before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.