Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
If you have an unsupported Mac (2009 imac) for Catalina Macos and an IOS 13 supported iphone (iphone X in my case) what happens to syncing your owned Music in itunes?

Does it still work? Because I am reading these things about replacing itunes in IOS13 and Catalina and I really really dont want to be left out of syncing my owned music because of this.

Can you still sync your itunes music, and your photos with a 2009 iMac running El Capitan and an iphone X running IOS13??

MeasterHD

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2016
Miami
If you have an unsupported Mac (2009 imac) for Catalina Macos and an IOS 13 supported iphone (iphone X in my case) what happens to syncing your owned Music in itunes?

Does it still work? Because I am reading these things about replacing itunes in IOS13 and Catalina and I really really dont want to be left out of syncing my owned music because of this.

Can you still sync your itunes music, and your photos with a 2009 iMac running El Capitan and an iphone X running IOS13??

iTunes is replaced by music. Works same like iTunes. In Finder make sure you have enabled sync entire music library. Or create your own playlist in Music app.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
iTunes is replaced by music. Works same like iTunes. In Finder make sure you have enabled sync entire music library. Or create your own playlist in Music app.

So itunes will be replaced on my 2009 Mac that doesnt support Catalina and can only go as far as El Capitan?

MeasterHD

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2016
Miami
So itunes will be replaced on my 2009 Mac that doesnt support Catalina and can only go as far as El Capitan?

That’s a question. Theoretically it still should work even with older macOS so that’s mean with iTunes.
I thought that you’re going force installation of Catalina.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
That’s a question. Theoretically it still should work even with older macOS so that’s mean with iTunes.
I thought that you’re going force installation of Catalina.

Well I really dont want to mess with forcing Catalina on my 2009 iMac. I saw the procedure for Mojave and a lot of stuff can go wrong and I am not really in the mood of going through this if I can do my syncing with El Capitan and ios13.

Logic says to me that Apple wont force everyone to upgrade to a Catalina supported Mac and use Catalina OS if they want to sync their iOS 13 iphones. Its crazy to think that they would force this. But still, I would like to see some sort of confirmation on this.

Barry K. Nathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2018
Irvine, CA, USA
Logic says to me that Apple wont force everyone to upgrade to a Catalina supported Mac and use Catalina OS if they want to sync their iOS 13 iphones. Its crazy to think that they would force this. But still, I would like to see some sort of confirmation on this.
According to the iOS 13 beta release notes, one of the "General" "Known Issues" is:
macOS 10.15 beta or Xcode 11 beta is required to sync or update a device running iOS & iPadOS 13. (51325292)
So, in order to sync with iOS 13 beta, you currently need either (a) Catalina or (b) Mojave plus Xcode 11 beta (i.e. installing Xcode 11 beta will allow Mojave's iTunes to sync with iOS 13 beta), according to Apple's release notes.

Apple's history (plus the fact that it's a "Known Issue") suggests that Apple will fix this. Apple's history with iTunes 12.7.x/iOS 11.x and earlier seems to imply that the iTunes update for iOS 13 syncing will drop support for El Capitan, but Apple's treatment of iTunes 12.8.x/iOS 12.x suggests that the update might support El Capitan after all. I would be surprised if we hear anything official from Apple until the final public iOS 13 release.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
According to the iOS 13 beta release notes, one of the "General" "Known Issues" is:So, in order to sync with iOS 13 beta, you currently need either (a) Catalina or (b) Mojave plus Xcode 11 beta (i.e. installing Xcode 11 beta will allow Mojave's iTunes to sync with iOS 13 beta), according to Apple's release notes.

Apple's history (plus the fact that it's a "Known Issue") suggests that Apple will fix this. Apple's history with iTunes 12.7.x/iOS 11.x and earlier seems to imply that the iTunes update for iOS 13 syncing will drop support for El Capitan, but Apple's treatment of iTunes 12.8.x/iOS 12.x suggests that the update might support El Capitan after all. I would be surprised if we hear anything official from Apple until the final public iOS 13 release.

Thanks very much for this! There is still hope then! Hope that El Capitan will allow syncing via updating the itunes apps accordingly... hell I dont think El Capitan is THAT old...

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I just find one interesting thing.
NO need for macOS 10.15, Xcode and even iTunes 12.8. I just finished two successful syncs on iTunes 12.6.5.3 with High Sierra, one for iPhone XS Max and another for iPad Pro 11" 2018, both of which are running iOS 13 beta 1.
I think the catch is you need to upgrade from iOS 12 to maintain basic support for iTunes. If you install iOS 13 beta 1 from DFU, those supports may get destroyed in the process.

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
I just find one interesting thing.
NO need for macOS 10.15, Xcode and even iTunes 12.8. I just finished two successful syncs on iTunes 12.6.5.3 with High Sierra, one for iPhone XS Max and another for iPad Pro 11" 2018, both of which are running iOS 13 beta 1.
I think the catch is you need to upgrade from iOS 12 to maintain basic support for iTunes. If you install iOS 13 beta 1 from DFU, those supports may get destroyed in the process.
Great news, thank you for the info. I’m still using iTunes 12.6.5.3 on Mojave And I will not be moving up to Catalina because it does not support drag end drop of any media files. But I very much want to use iOS13 on my iPads and iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.