Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwatters579

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
How "stable" is the current Public Beta of iOS 13? Is it good to use as a daily driver?

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Public betas are identical to developers’ betas, just released later. Have a look at this thread for the detailed feedback on the latest one:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...nd-improvements.2190239/page-21#post-27553008

There are so many variants of possible iOS device setups, usage and personal definitions of “stability”, that the only way to tell is to try it for yourself, being ready to revert back to iOS 12, if needed.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
How "stable" is the current Public Beta of iOS 13? Is it good to use as a daily driver?

To answer the question, YMMV but have been using both dev and public on two different iPads as main iOS in my every day function. They’re fairly stable but that could change in the next update if they break some function or another. As always, keep a back up of your current stuff and iOS 12 so if you run into issues, you can revert back (with some gymnastics involved)

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Perfectly stable on 6S+ other than the known issues with the apps that aren’t supported. No major freezes or crashes to report.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Stable enough to be on a secondary device, but not bug free enough to be on my daily driver imo.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
What bugs do you encounter that seriously hinder your ability to use it as a daily driver, and isn’t just some minor annoyance? I can’t really find any and I use my phone pretty extensively I feel.

Go for it OP! YOLO! lol

Reactions: compwiz1202

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
It's a beta. While unlikely, the next release could brick your phone. Don't put beta software on something you want to work reliably every day.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Fine on my iPad Mini 4, no major bugs that are making me pull my hair out. I'll wait another couple of betas before I put it on my phone though, just to be safe.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
the OS itself is very stable for me on my xs..I havent had one respring..some apps are stuttering since they are not ios 13 optimized or dont load at all like the delta app but beta 4 has been VERY solid for me in 2 days of full use.

Reactions: YaBoiD

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
What bugs do you encounter that seriously hinder your ability to use it as a daily driver, and isn’t just some minor annoyance? I can’t really find any and I use my phone pretty extensively I feel.

Go for it OP! YOLO! lol
Same for me I only had annoyances like the Face ID broken for some apps and apps crashing and the mail badge bug. Face ID works again and badges are going away when reading emails again. Apps that still crash I can just go to the site on Safari to access my account.

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
Depends on what apps a person is using, how tolerant to bugs they are and etc. I have been having iOS 13 on my main device since the first beta and it's been ok. I've had some issues with some apps, such as Viber, but it's manageable.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015

Go for it OP! YOLO! lol
Battery life, smart invert colours that I use a lot are broken in iOS 13 right now and I read many people had problems with drop calls or signal issues with their iPhone on iOS 13.

Honestly I dont know why I'd use a beta software on my main phone when I can just install it on my iPad and have fun with it. I dont know about you, but my phone is very important and need to be reliable at all cost for important calls and stuff so I'll put iOS 13 when it will release or later if its not as buttery smooth and bug free as iOS 12.4 are right now.

Duckhunter

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2014
I installed it on my daily driver and knock on wood I haven’t noticed many issues at all really. It has been very stable and I haven’t seen many issues with apps. Ymmv but I would create an iOS 12 backup that’s archived and go for it!

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I've had it on my daily driver since day one. There have been some crashes and app compatibility issues, but no issues that had a huge impact on my usage, just a reboot and it was back to normal. Public Beta 3 is definitely a lot more stable than beta 1, so if you're willing to take the risk and you have an archived backup of your device in iTunes, go for it!

Reactions: compwiz1202

paranoia

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
New England
I downloaded IOS 13 strictly for the dark mode, The only issue I have is when I download a new app from the store or from the cloud it stays on my first page and when I try to move it to a different page or folder it won't move.
If i press on it to wiggle it so I can move it , it just gets enlarged in its place, so I make the apps wiggle by pressing on a old app and they start to wiggle the app still won't let me drag it to a back page, I have been able once in awhile to move some of my newer apps to the last page of my home pages but rarely and with much difficulty.

PS I have the public beta which is currently is on 3 .

Last edited:

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I’m finding text/cursor selection very hit & miss on iPad Pro 10.5. Particularly in messages. More often than not, if I’m typing an iMessage and need to correct earlier text, it’s game over and I cannot move the cursor. At all. Other times the cursor can be moved but it’s incredibly fussy and jumps after I lift my finger. The original looking-glass selector was far superior and I cannot fathom why they’re trying (and so far failing) to improve on it. This alone could be a deal breaker for some in regards to the beta’s suitability for installing on a daily driver device. Otherwise I find everything else mostly very usable.

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
On 10" iPad Pro Public Beta is quite rough still. I guess you can call it usable, and funnily it is primarly the built in apps that I have problems with (especially Messages and Mail). Not much issues with 3rd party apps yet.

If I could choose again I'd wait until later betas.

Reactions: Jim Lahey

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
iPhone X - correcting text, moving the cursor, is now #1 issue and problem as it affects every app i type in, even Feedback app.

If i double tap to select a word and retype or hit delete. But spelling and autocorrect seems ... weak.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I've had it on my daily driver since day one. There have been some crashes and app compatibility issues, but no issues that had a huge impact on my usage, just a reboot and it was back to normal. Public Beta 3 is definitely a lot more stable than beta 1, so if you're willing to take the risk and you have an archived backup of your device in iTunes, go for it!
Yea ever since I started iOS Betas, I've never had an issue that totally shut me down. I could always use a different app or go to Safari and access something for a crashing app. The worst issue I ever had which was only for my situation was in 12 when the ATV remote apps didn't work and our real remote was lost. At least it finally made us do an all out search and we finally found it deep in the sofa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.