Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
Did I read that correctly? iOS4 should start coming out by the end of June and bring multitasking to the iPad, AND folders? If true, that will be more good news for me today.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I think only the iPhone will get the OS4 on 21 June 2010. The iPad's OS4 is still slated for Fall 2010 unless I missed something in the keynote.

Godzirra!

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Pacific Ocean, Japan
ipad is gonna get a really revolutionary update. it will be the exact same thing, with maybe one little difference. Maybe they will make safari not suck so bad?

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
Damn, I was reading the live blog on Mac|Life and it read like it was for both (I thought, or maybe just wishful thinking on my part). I also thought that the name change was tied to the common OS upgrade. Oh well, sorry if I got anyone else reved up needlessly. Fall isn't that far off really, and later is better than never. I really had hopes that there would be an iPhone/Verizon announcement, so that point really hurts more. Thanks folks for setting me straight.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Is it multitasking or does it just freeze and minimise the app ?

eg: would your IM chat keep collecting new chat messages and notifying you, you have a new message so you can minimise your game, answer the chat, and go back to the game?

p-rice

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Las Vegas
ipad is gonna get a really revolutionary update. it will be the exact same thing, with maybe one little difference. Maybe they will make safari not suck so bad?

Just ditch Safari altogether. iCab is superior in every way. If you have a jailbroken iPad, you can even set these 3rd party web browsers as your default browser so all external links will open up on your preferred browser instead of Safari.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
Is it multitasking or does it just freeze and minimise the app ?

eg: would your IM chat keep collecting new chat messages and notifying you, you have a new message so you can minimise your game, answer the chat, and go back to the game?

I did get that part. Freeze and minimize. Remembers where you were.

I didn't mention it earlier, but I am still a noob in the Mac world, but I love my iMac, and once I get home from work you rarely see me without my beloved iPad.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I really had hopes that there would be an iPhone/Verizon announcement, so that point really hurts more. Thanks folks for setting me straight.

A Verizon iPhone will probably be announced in 2012 once a majority of their network has been upgraded to LTE. This will actually allow Apple to create one phone for multiple networks since LTE is a standard all carriers are moving towards.

I don't think it will make sense for next year because I doubt any carrier will have enough markets upgraded. The toughest part will be the backwards compatibility with their other networks. It may not make sense to have a CDMA/LTE phone and a 3G/LTE phone and I doubt they will make a CDMA/3G/LTE phone.

It probably depends on how bad Verizon wants one. I have heard that they don't really and that they are banking on the Android phones instead.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I did get that part. Freeze and minimize. Remembers where you were.

I didn't mention it earlier, but I am still a noob in the Mac world, but I love my iMac, and once I get home from work you rarely see me without my beloved iPad.

Ah right, thanks for clearing that up, so it's not actually multitasking at all then :(

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Ah right, thanks for clearing that up, so it's not actually multitasking at all then :(

Just jailbreak and install backgrounder. Ive got it but very rarely use it. It's still good to have the opportunity though.

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
Haven't we know this for over a couple month now? The last time Steve was blabbing on a stage, he talked about multitasking coming to the iPad in the fall.

hazmatzak

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
so it's not actually multitasking at all then :(

No, it is "real multitasking" for the several things most people want to do in the background, like playing music or finishing a download. But not completely unrestricted multitasking, where some program in the background that you forgot about can kill your battery.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Damn, I was reading the live blog on Mac|Life and it read like it was for both (I thought, or maybe just wishful thinking on my part). I also thought that the name change was tied to the common OS upgrade. Oh well, sorry if I got anyone else reved up needlessly. Fall isn't that far off really, and later is better than never. I really had hopes that there would be an iPhone/Verizon announcement, so that point really hurts more. Thanks folks for setting me straight.

No worries, we iPad users will get to experience what the iPhone can do, but bigger!:D

*with patience comes greatness.....

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009

No, it IS multitasking.

However, there are some things that they will not allow - by policy, not due to any technical limitation - BY POLICY, with the policy being enforced by requiring developers to use a specific set of high-level multi-tasking APIs.

Location-aware, audio, and VOIP apps CLEARLY have "real" multi-tasking. It's "inverse" to the way developers have come to think of multi-tasking, but it is real multi-tasking. "Under the hood" is no different than any other Unix-like kernel, and the fundamentals have been there since Day One. (It's what Apple uses for their native apps.) The difference is that the app gets periodic "call backs" from the OS when it has some data for the app to handle.

A gray area would be any app that wants to maintain a "nailed-up" connection to a data server in background. Apple says you aren't supposed to do that (other than for audio streaming or VOIP). And there's no provision in the new APIs to request that an app just stay open in background. (Other than flagging it as "audio", but if it then never calls the audio APIs, then it's in violation...) An app can also request 10 minutes to finish-up what it was doing, and it's free to do whatever it wants in background during that 10 minutes. (But it will run with reduced priority.) A location-aware app or audio or VOIP app might make some incidental connection(s) to a server, but, technically, shouldn't maintain a CONSTANT connection. So, under the current rules, I think some developers will try to skirt the limitation by opening and closing network connections while in background. But it will still have to be - fundamentally - an audio streaming, location-aware, or VOIP app. Will be interesting to see how Apple rules on the edge cases!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.