Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Does anyone know if Golden Master will update OTA or will it have to be a sync?

ravensfan55

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
Does anyone know if Golden Master will update OTA or will it have to be a sync?

In all likelihood the GM and public release will be the same exact build. I've been using the GM on my phone since last week and on my iPad since this weekend and I haven't found any bugs that would have caused Apple to release a different build.

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Has anyone had a problem with iCloud/MobileMe email being pushed? Mine hasn't been working this morning. I have reset the phone and turned mail off and then back on. Still no go. :confused:

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
In all likelihood the GM and public release will be the same exact build. I've been using the GM on my phone since last week and on my iPad since this weekend and I haven't found any bugs that would have caused Apple to release a different build.

I've found one. The App Store occasionally crashes upon launch. But if you re-launch it, it always works the second time.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Since this will be a full version upgrade, it will most likely NOT be OTA due to its size.
Plus there are other mitigating circumstances, such as creating a back up of your iPhone before the upgrade, etc.

Logic says that updates to something like 5.1 and the like should be OTA. But most likely not a full blown OS upgrade to a new version.

Could be wrong though

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I will just have to check the build number on the full release to make sure then, or would they still give them two different build numbers?

Nioxic

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Denmark
I will just have to check the build number on the full release to make sure then, or would they still give them two different build numbers?

What about us stupid people who updated to the "GM" 5.0 version and cant use our phones coz its not developer-account blablabla stuff? :p

i just "update" or "restore" my phone when 5.0 is officially out ?

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
What about us stupid people who updated to the "GM" 5.0 version and cant use our phones coz its not developer-account blablabla stuff? :p

i just "update" or "restore" my phone when 5.0 is officially out ?

I don't understand, I updated to GM 5.0 and don't have a developer account and everything works fine.

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
The only bug I've noticed on my iPad is the inability to write reviews in the app store. Clicking the link just takes me back to the app page over and over. That's all I've found. I don't see it being different.

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
The only bug I've noticed on my iPad is the inability to write reviews in the app store. Clicking the link just takes me back to the app page over and over. That's all I've found. I don't see it being different.

I don't have the camera button on my lock screen, not sure if it is a bug or a setting I am missing.

gatd

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
if any one bothered to look at the settings images of the iPhone 4s received in Germany you will notice it is the same build as IOS 5 GM

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
if any one bothered to look at the settings images of the iPhone 4s received in Germany you will notice it is the same build as IOS 5 GM

Thanks for that info, but it isn't a matter of being bothered to look, it is a matter of not knowing they are there to be seen.

michaelfields

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Whenever I try to check for an update I get an error "Unable to Check for Update"

Is this what happens for everyone on iOS 5 as well as the GM?

I'm on the GM so obviously there's no update for me, but shouldn't it at least check and say something to the affect of "No Update Available"?

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Whenever I try to check for an update I get an error "Unable to Check for Update"

Is this what happens for everyone on iOS 5 as well as the GM?

I'm on the GM so obviously there's no update for me, but shouldn't it at least check and say something to the affect of "No Update Available"?

You are checking the OTA? OTA is for small updates, this would have been too big.

Also, it has been confirmed that the build number released today is the same as GM so you are current if you have GM

ravensfan55

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
The GM and today's release are the same thing. So checking for an update isn't going to get you anywhere, because there is no update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.