Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkippyScud

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2011
USA
So I've been having issues with my ISP (Verizon FiOS). Where I'm getting signal droppage for 2-5seconds every 8-10min or so. This doesn't let me stream anything that doesn't buffer. So most online games end up dropping too. It's horrible.

Verizon has been great with support. We've replaced my router twice and the OTH(?) box in front of the home. They have boosted signal and finally T2 support ran diagnostics and find no errors.

So finally one technician asks if I have iOS devices connected and that their is a known issue with the iOS5 devices hammering the router. Apple is supposedly fixing this in the next patch.

Has anyone had similar issues? I'll be taking all my iOS devices off the network when I get home, but that just seems odd. I would imagine it would be a router issue, not iOS. .. maybe a specific application?

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
So I've been having issues with my ISP (Verizon FiOS). Where I'm getting signal droppage for 2-5seconds every 8-10min or so. This doesn't let me stream anything that doesn't buffer. So most online games end up dropping too. It's horrible.

Verizon has been great with support. We've replaced my router twice and the OTH(?) box in front of the home. They have boosted signal and finally T2 support ran diagnostics and find no errors.

So finally one technician asks if I have iOS devices connected and that their is a known issue with the iOS5 devices hammering the router. Apple is supposedly fixing this in the next patch.

Has anyone had similar issues? I'll be taking all my iOS devices off the network when I get home, but that just seems odd. I would imagine it would be a router issue, not iOS. .. maybe a specific application?

I haven't had an issue with this at all. Running two iPhones and two iPads (wi-fi only). All of them running the latest iOS.

I have the orginal FIOS router set to wifi enabled and then I also have three AE set to extend mode.

No issues.

This would be interesting if this is the case. Have you been able to turn off all your devices and see if the signal still drops?

SkippyScud

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2011
USA
This would be interesting if this is the case. Have you been able to turn off all your devices and see if the signal still drops?

Not yet, this information came to me at lunch time, and I've yet to go home and try it. I'm a bit skeptical too since he didn't seem to know his gadgetry all that well saying my Macbook and iMac count as iOS5 devices...

I don't know why this would just affect Actiontec routers. And if it is the case, I just lost most use for my iPad unless I roll it back.

I have the orginal FIOS router set to wifi enabled and then I also have three AE set to extend mode

What does AE stand for? I've tried using the wifi built in to the router as well as putting a Linksys E4200 N-router in bridge mode and using that as my wireless. The problem persisted.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Skippy, AE usually stands for Airport Extreme Base Station although some people use it for Airport Express

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
My verizon FiOS router was utter crap,turned off the wifi single got a Time Capsule and my wifi issues stopped they just don't have good routers,well at least those crappy actiontec modem/routers.

SkippyScud

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2011
USA
My verizon FiOS router was utter crap,turned off the wifi single got a Time Capsule and my wifi issues stopped they just don't have good routers,well at least those crappy actiontec modem/routers.

I wish I could isolate it to just wifi, but it was my xbox hardwired to the router. Putting it on wireless had the same issues. Heading home soon, so hopefully I can rule this out. But thanks for all the feedback.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
I have issues where my iPad 2 seems to drop connection every now and then. I have everything but by iPads and I phones wired now so haven't noticed anything. It's a mild annoyance but havent dedicated any real time to figure it out.

SkippyScud

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2011
USA
So I went home and tested this theory and reset the router to factory settings. Only connected my xbox to it and I am able to stay connected to LIVE and stream Netflix without it dropping out. But playing games and LIVE party chat still go in and out making online gaming a no go.

By evening I reconnected my iMac, I've not added my iPad to it yet to see if iOS really does bugger it up. I'll try that tonight when I get home. In the mean time, called Verizon to report I still have my initial problem.

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
I don't have this issues or at least I haven't noticed yet, iPhone 4s & iPad 3.

FYI (for those that don't know) for all of you using Verizon wireless router, CHANGE your SSID ASAP. Verizon default SSID is very easy to crack, can be cracked online in less than 10 seconds.

SkippyScud

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2011
USA
Found what looks to be the solution here.

Nothing to do with iOS. Everything to do with how many hops to get to a service. As for the Skype issue, it was on the other end, all the people my wife tutors use the schools internet connection. She had one student after hours from their house with no issue.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012

exactly what I'm doing as soon as I get FiOS, the router is complete garbage that they give you and had friends who are really technology savvy end their FiOS service because of the router and really didn't want to go through the whole setting up of a router process but I'm just going to use my new Linksys e3200 router which is wicked fast, just can't wait for Verizon to turn it on where I live and does it affect you FiOS TV well if you have it?

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
exactly what I'm doing as soon as I get FiOS, the router is complete garbage that they give you and had friends who are really technology savvy end their FiOS service because of the router and really didn't want to go through the whole setting up of a router process but I'm just going to use my new Linksys e3200 router which is wicked fast, just can't wait for Verizon to turn it on where I live and does it affect you FiOS TV well if you have it?

No the fios tv is hard wired into the modem coaxial cable and im pretty tech savvy I would never use FiOS's or Time Warners routers EVER lol

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
No the fios tv is hard wired into the modem coaxial cable and im pretty tech savvy I would never use FiOS's or Time Warners routers EVER lol

oh ok thats great to know because i read on some places that if you connect your own router to the FiOS one it would throw off the tv service or something like that but thats good that is doesn't, now I can't wait to get the service and of course use my own stuff so i can get the full potential of FiOS

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
oh ok thats great to know because i read on some places that if you connect your own router to the FiOS one it would throw off the tv service or something like that but thats good that is doesn't, now I can't wait to get the service and of course use my own stuff so i can get the full potential of FiOS

FiOS is amazing it is a GODSEND 100 up and down internet is BLAZING!

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
FiOS is amazing it is a GODSEND 100 up and down internet is BLAZING!

Woah how do you get that high!!, that's insane, they offer 35 down/35 up for the package my family wants to get, but then again I've heard stories where people have gotten around 45-55 down and even up at times when they have only purchased the 25 or 35 down plans, but I can't wait to get it, only amazing stories about how fast it is

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Woah how do you get that high!!, that's insane, they offer 35 down/35 up for the package my family wants to get, but then again I've heard stories where people have gotten around 45-55 down and even up at times when they have only purchased the 25 or 35 down plans, but I can't wait to get it, only amazing stories about how fast it is

In my area they offer 100/100 and 150/150 its amazing fios can offer speeds that Cable just cant

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
In my area they offer 100/100 and 150/150 its amazing fios can offer speeds that Cable just cant

Damn thats crazy! Just having 35/35 is a much better experience than what I was being offered and that was 20 down and only a lousy 2 up

amro

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Use any wireless router other than the FiOS one. I disabled WiFi on the Verizon Router and use a Netgear WNDR4000 for all wired and wireless connections. So far, it's been pretty good. Every month or so, I have to restart the Netgear because WiFi starts to come and go. But other than that, it's been great. Also, the Netgear has 1G ports, for wired, which is good for my PC and RAID server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.