Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunsetblow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
kd7eib.png

iOS 7 seems to have messed up my iPad "identity." As you can see, my iPad name is still there (THE ARM) but the ID seems to be showing as 1%$S for some reason.

I backed up and restored and it's the same. I can't find any area to change it.

Additionally, you can see the Check for Update button is completely wonked. When I click on it, it says

1464vl.png

but nothing is downloading.

Any help? I had no such problems with Beta 1-6 but this GM seems to have completely screwed me over.

Thanks!

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012

iOS 7 seems to have messed up my iPad "identity." As you can see, my iPad name is still there (THE ARM) but the ID seems to be showing as 1%$S for some reason.

I backed up and restored and it's the same. I can't find any area to change it.

Additionally, you can see the Check for Update button is completely wonked. When I click on it, it says

but nothing is downloading.

Any help? I had no such problems with Beta 1-6 but this GM seems to have completely screwed me over.

Thanks!

Settings - General - About and then rename it there.

sunsetblow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Settings - General - About and then rename it there.

Actually, this didn't help. In Settings it's already what I specified as the name above, not the strange string of characters...

Any other takers? :confused:

sunsetblow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
I don't see anything wrong with it. It says "Restore $!*#", and it will restore iOS 7, which is $!*# :p

That button's weird though.

This is some pretty serious stuff! I can't imagine Jobs would've allowed iOS to be released in this state...

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
Usually a bunch of random objects like that means an expletive. So ios7 thinks your ipad is manure

cbronfman

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Washington DC
IOS 7 is NOT good on my mini

I've had and loved my mini since November 24th of last year - that is until I stupidly hit install for IOS 7. Now I have certain software crashing - apps - when I've spoken with the developer, they've said to close down everything that the memory gets overloaded. SO, even with the batter saver app which reallocates memory, shutting down apps, etc. - I still periodically get non-funcitoing apps and have to reboot the iPad Mini. Note, that everything worked flawlessly with IOS 6. I know there is a memory allocation issue and I hope I don't feel obligated to fork out more money next week for a new mini with more RAM, but this software and the apps updated for it - don't work well and reliably.

NOW having IOS 7 swear at my mini hasn't happened yet. I wonder if I should disable automatic background updates.

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
iOS7 is abusing my iPad...

I've had and loved my mini since November 24th of last year - that is until I stupidly hit install for IOS 7. Now I have certain software crashing - apps - when I've spoken with the developer, they've said to close down everything that the memory gets overloaded. SO, even with the batter saver app which reallocates memory, shutting down apps, etc. - I still periodically get non-funcitoing apps and have to reboot the iPad Mini. Note, that everything worked flawlessly with IOS 6. I know there is a memory allocation issue and I hope I don't feel obligated to fork out more money next week for a new mini with more RAM, but this software and the apps updated for it - don't work well and reliably.

NOW having IOS 7 swear at my mini hasn't happened yet. I wonder if I should disable automatic background updates.

I would wait and see if an update that fixes some issues on iPads is released next week. iOS 7 is much buggier on iPads. I have it installed on both my 4S and my iPad 3. I don't have the same issues as you, but it is definitely running smoother on my 4S than my iPad.

cbronfman

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Washington DC
I agree - wait for updates

There may be things about IOS 7 I don't like, but it's working smoothly on my 5S. It isn't on my iPad Mini. It's not terrible, it's just things go wrong that never did with IOS 6.

I just hope the update(s) address memory issues.

sunsetblow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013

Seriously embarrassing -_____-

sunsetblow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Now whenever I connect it to iTunes, I can't even go into the apps tab without crashing.

Never have I ever had such unstable crap come from Apple.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Now it's calling my Apps episodes? WTFFFFFFF :confused:

%1$d and %2$d look suspiciously like 'tokens' that appear in programming code (supposed to be replaced with valid text when the program runs). This suggests to me that you have corrupted code or data somewhere in your device.

If I were you, I'd do a fresh install rather than a restore, as that should sort out any corruption that might have taken place.

sunsetblow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
%1$d and %2$d look suspiciously like 'tokens' that appear in programming code (supposed to be replaced with valid text when the program runs). This suggests to me that you have corrupted code or data somewhere in your device.

If I were you, I'd do a fresh install rather than a restore, as that should sort out any corruption that might have taken place.

Thanks for the feedback! I was going to do this anyway but was hesitant... I decided to uninstall iTunes and reinstall and that actually fixed it.

I'm gonna do a fresh install on my mini anyway though.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Thanks for the feedback! I was going to do this anyway but was hesitant... I decided to uninstall iTunes and reinstall and that actually fixed it.

I'm gonna do a fresh install on my mini anyway though.

Glad that you're back in business. Just out of interest, because I'm nosy, I know a lot of people use iTunes (either on a PC or a Mac) to update and sync their iOS devices. I guess that's because you've got your own CDs ripped to iTunes, or something like that?

As for myself, neither my iPhone nor iPad have ever been anywhere near an iTunes cable, as I buy stuff directly from the iTunes store and my devices automatically backup to iCloud most nights. When it comes to setting up a new device or upgrading the OS, it's so easy if you use iCloud throughout without relying on any other computer (and perhaps having it go wrong).

sunsetblow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Glad that you're back in business. Just out of interest, because I'm nosy, I know a lot of people use iTunes (either on a PC or a Mac) to update and sync their iOS devices. I guess that's because you've got your own CDs ripped to iTunes, or something like that?

As for myself, neither my iPhone nor iPad have ever been anywhere near an iTunes cable, as I buy stuff directly from the iTunes store and my devices automatically backup to iCloud most nights. When it comes to setting up a new device or upgrading the OS, it's so easy if you use iCloud throughout without relying on any other computer (and perhaps having it go wrong).

Yeah I find iTunes to be quite good for managing my music (hiccups aside where it deletes my entire library, etc.) I like being able to view and load content on my iPad from iTunes as well...

I only use iCloud to sync app data, which works like a dream but in terms of relying on it for heavy transferring, never could get into that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.