Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Forgive me if it's been discussed, but I couldn't find anything. I have a developer account that expires in about 40 days. I may not renew it so my question is if I install the iOS 8 beta on my device what happens when my account expires? Will my UDID no longer be registered and will I have problems updating to the next betas and so forth?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Forgive me if it's been discussed, but I couldn't find anything. I have a developer account that expires in about 40 days. I may not renew it so my question is if I install the iOS 8 beta on my device what happens when my account expires? Will my UDID no longer be registered and will I have problems updating to the next betas and so forth?

Yes, you'll be locked out of your device and need to do a DFU restore when you try to update to the next beta after your account expires.

dtlee1974

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Don't count on it, but I was in the same situation last year and updated my iPad anyway. It was fine and did not get locked out. That doesn't mean it won't happen this year, but I don't think Apple is as hardcore about UDID registration as they want people to think they are.

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
You also won't be able to restore the iOS 8 backups onto iOS 7 if it expires, so if you do it, make sure you don't change your phone too much, because you'll lose 40 days worth of stuff

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
Don't count on it, but I was in the same situation last year and updated my iPad anyway. It was fine and did not get locked out. That doesn't mean it won't happen this year, but I don't think Apple is as hardcore about UDID registration as they want people to think they are.

I ended up getting locked out of one of my devices last night after putting beta 1 on it. I had forgotten I got a new iPad and had not yet registered it on the dev portal. The beta installed and worked, but as soon as I rebooted, I was locked out.

They appear to be getting much more strict with UDID registration this time around-the devices apparently phone home on every reboot throughout the beta process.

gstevie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2009
Glasgow
I was under the impression that once a UDID was registered with Apple it was permanent. When the account expires and the next beta comes out, will the check not show that the UDID is registered, regardless of account status?

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I was under the impression that once a UDID was registered with Apple it was permanent. When the account expires and the next beta comes out, will the check not show that the UDID is registered, regardless of account status?

I wonder the same, kind of a grey area from what I've been able to find.

They must at least keep your account data in their system in case you decide to reactivate it. Worst case scenario if I had an issue after the fact I could always bite the bullet and spend the 100 bucks to reactivate I would think

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.