Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devsfan1830

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
VA
Got a new car with Chevy MyLink back in Feb 2014. Running iOS7 at the time and it work flawlessly. iOS 8 came along and totally broke it. Frequently having to fight with it automatically pausing the song by itself after a few seconds, incomplete indexing, playback by album totally broken as each time a song finished it would either pause or there would be a long wait with it coming back to a totally random song in the album. When observing the app on the phone, it appeared the Music app itself would wig out, skip 4 tracks and resume playback. This continued until 8.3 where it has pretty much stabilized. The only slight issue I'd still had appears to be a problem with how the Music app queues up the next song for gapless playback. Songs will frequently suddenly stop at the last 20 seconds, jump to the next song where it plays a couple seconds of that, then restarts the song. Funny thing is, the whole thing is totally fine if I use a playlist. No abrupt ends, no skips. So iOS 8 is still not what iOS 7 was, but its gotten better. Also, listening to podcasts have been a total mess. MyLink shows them but its a dice roll if they actually play when i select one. Work around has been for me to start playing one on my phone and then plugging it in so my stereo takes over.

Now iOS 9 comes along and totally ruins it. I know its a first beta so i pray it gets fixed, but now I'm back to old behavior. I pick a song from the dash, goes to the song but either no sound at all or it immediately pauses. Each time a song in an album finishes it advanced to the next, and pauses. So every single time i need to manually tap play on my car stereo to keep playing an album. Again, TOTALLY fine if I use a playlist.

I've continually asked Chevy if there has been any updates to MyLink for compatibility issues. Of course there never are since car makers just pump out some in house garbage as is and calls it a day. Its not like they cant update it. Its likely just that they already sold you on the car so why bother supporting anything. The fact that Music got slightly better speaks to a solution on Apples side anyways, except they CANT stop fiddling around with the Music app and in the process breaking compatibility with devices that are supposed to work with the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.