Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
After 2 months of daily washing my XS with soap and water (on the bathroom faucet, originally bought on September 2018) when returning from the hospital, it finally bit the dust. I started tending to COVID19 patients on April 23rd, my phone's screen died(?) yesterday. The phone also underwent alcohol "spray and wipe" several times a day.

It went green with something similar to static, and then turned off. The phone kept buzzing with notifications, and I tried to turn it off, but I didn't managed to (impossible without the screen).

The XS is on rice since yesterday afternoon. I'll see tomorrow if something changes. Meanwhile, I'm using the ipad+LTE watch as substitute (with BT headphones for answering/making calls while out). I haven't found any open stores in México city where to buy another phone. Online shopping would bring me a phone in more than a week (amazon, apple store, Best Buy, etc) so I would prefer another more expedite option.

Update: found 2 things:
  1. A brick and mortar store that has 3 iPhones 11 in red to sell and will take it to your car after you buy it online (it seems you can pick it up on the same day). I wanted a new SE, but there is none on this store.
  2. An apple certified service center that will take a look at my phone today (I have an appointment in 4 hours) and see if they can fix the phone (I would think the screen needs replacing, but heaven knows what else went wrong). It remains to be seen if they have new SEs to sell

Last edited:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Just curious. Why not just wipe it down with a cloth or paper towel dampened with 70% isopropyl alcohol? That should disinfect it without risk of damage. If it's hard to come by. I'd expect 150 proof or higher alcohol to work.

Then there are UV cleaners. Although I don't know how well they work. They're just a small UV light box you place the phone in. Then turn it on and let it blast your phone with UV-C light.

Last edited:

shinemoon

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2019
I wish Apple extends AppleCare and offer free replacement to all health care & front line workers providing COVID 19 support for iPads, iPhones & Apple Watch.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucas284

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Yes, I second wiping the phone with pre-moistened 70% IPA wipes. Not sure what kind of contact time is needed to kill COVID but I did this for more than a year to my iPhone 6s when I worked in a clean room. No issues at all.

You can probably use pre-moistened bleach wipes or quaternary ammonium, too, though I haven’t tried. These could cause discoloration, or surface etching / clouding.

I would not recommend Phenol or Sporicidin wipes.

Soap and dowsing under running water is potentially an issue (as the OP observed)

You could also - get a water proof case - which you can clean and replace periodically as needed.

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Totally not my intention to pick on the OP — thank you so much for your service — but why are you touching your phone if you think your hands might not be clean?

New gloves, see patient, discard gloves, wash hands. Hand sanitizer if touched door or questionable surface. Then use phone.

I work with BSL2 and BSL3 hazards daily as a scientist. We’re not even allowed to have personal phones / electronic devices in our BSL3 lab.

I guess maybe doctors get called and paged all day while they are seeing patients? No time to shed PPE when phone rings?

I agree you still need to clean your phone. But the current procedure seems excessive. And potentially not that useful? Generally you want to clean as close in time and location to the hazard to prevent cross contamination.

Cleaning it at home, after you already touched it in the car, and rubbed your eyes because you are exhausted probably won’t help much. Unless the bathroom faucet is at work.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbachandouris

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
OP:

The phone also underwent alcohol "spray and wipe" several times a day.”

Don’t ever spray anything onto the phone itself, that’s common sense. You spray whatever cleaning solution onto a microfiber cloth and apply it that way. Even if the spray wasn’t the culprit of why your phone failed, there’s too many minuscule entry points for the liquid to make contact.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Alcohol will dry out rubber, including the gasket. When it dries it shrinks and cracks. When it cracks it gives liquid easy access to your sensitive bits.

Reactions: ian87w

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Ummm I don’t see why many are questioning ops decision...it’s a water resistant phone and he wants to be careful. So?

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Thanks for your service! Here in Guadalajara, Mexico, a lot of the authorized resellers and service providers have started to open. I took an iPhone XS Max with a broken back (thankfully with Applecare+) and a pair of Airpods Pro with the Rattle issue, and got them replaced within a couple of days. Macstore, is starting to open on an appointment only basis. Might want to give them a call and see what they have.

I see that iShop Reforma and Macstore Reforma are both operational, though you might need to call first.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Well, given the line of work the OP has, it makes sense to try to do something additional to keep devices infection free. I would refrain from questioning the OP and just try to give solution all additional insights.

Reactions: cdcastillo

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Yep, They specifically mention Clorex Wipes:

Thanks for the link. It’s strange that they say IPA and Clorox wipes are fine. But then they go on to say not to use bleach?!?

Of course, you have to read the active ingredient in the wipes. Might be bleach, stabilized bleach, or quaternary ammonium.

I assume they are saying that bleach wipes are okay?!?! But liquid bleach 10% is not?

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Since you seem to take keeping your phone clean very seriously, I would just get yourself one of those UV light phone sanitizers.

Unfortunately most “retail” UV solutions are crap and shouldn’t be trusted. Commercial / professional UV solutions are actually pretty hazardous / aggressive and often damage / discolor plastics, etc.

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Well, given the line of work the OP has, it makes sense to try to do something additional to keep devices infection free. I would refrain from questioning the OP and just try to give solution all additional insights.

(-: no offense intended. As a scientist it’s my job to question. Including rigorously evaluating instrument sanitization / disinfection procedures.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Thanks for the link. It’s strange that they say IPA and Clorox wipes are fine. But then they go on to say not to use bleach?!?

Of course, you have to read the active ingredient in the wipes. Might be bleach, stabilized bleach, or quaternary ammonium.

I assume they are saying that bleach wipes are okay?!?! But liquid bleach 10% is not?

Not sure what the issue is. Clorox Disinfecting Wipes are specifically bleach-free.

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Not sure what the issue is. Clorox Disinfecting Wipes are specifically bleach-free.

Not necessarily. It depends on the type. Regular, mildew, medical, etc.

ac3b5d1843b0ec4ab4267b737d917665.jpg
c77bdedf46a78c4a5262677dff68c9b3.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.