Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Hey Guys, I have a new ipad pro 10.5 .. Has cell and WiFi ... No sim inserted. When I go to add cellular service it only pops up with ATT as an option. I assume the embedded sim is ATT... But when I go to ATT and go to unlock the embedded sim it says its UNLOCKED already.. Is there a way to clear the embedded sim to use on another carrier or do I have to get a SIM card from the carrier I want to use and use a sim? I thought it would show other carriers once it was unlocked from ATT... thanks in advance.. for any help

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hey Guys, I have a new ipad pro 10.5 .. Has cell and WiFi ... No sim inserted. When I go to add cellular service it only pops up with ATT as an option. I assume the embedded sim is ATT... But when I go to ATT and go to unlock the embedded sim it says its UNLOCKED already.. Is there a way to clear the embedded sim to use on another carrier or do I have to get a SIM card from the carrier I want to use and use a sim? I thought it would show other carriers once it was unlocked from ATT... thanks in advance.. for any help
Is there a chance that you got scammed? ?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The SIM card slot is unlocked. You can just pop any SIM on there and it will work. You can't sign up for non-AT&T plans direct from the iPad's settings menu, though.

To do that, you'll need to contact AT&T customer service and pray you get an agent willing to work with you to fix "Carrier Reveal/Visibility" restrictions on your iPad instead of just parroting the "all iPads are unlocked" script.

This is why I prefer to just buy my iPads SIM-free, unlocked direct from Apple or authorized retailers instead of buying carrier versions.

Reactions: sparksd

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
The SIM card slot is unlocked. You can just pop any SIM on there and it will work. You can't sign up for non-AT&T plans direct from the iPad's settings menu, though.

To do that, you'll need to contact AT&T customer service and pray you get an agent willing to work with you to fix "Carrier Reveal/Visibility" restrictions on your iPad instead of just parroting the "all iPads are unlocked" script.

This is why I prefer to just buy my iPads SIM-free, unlocked direct from Apple or authorized retailers instead of buying carrier versions.
I purchased this used but sealed in the box ! It must if came from att being the internal sim has att all over it ! I wanted to know if they would remove the att on the embedded sim ? I ran the check on the imei and att said the device is already unlocked ! Guess I’ll pop in a T-Mobile sun if needed ! Thank u for your response !!

mkflyfish

macrumors member
May 30, 2011
I purchased this used but sealed in the box ! It must if came from att being the internal sim has att all over it ! I wanted to know if they would remove the att on the embedded sim ? I ran the check on the imei and att said the device is already unlocked ! Guess I’ll pop in a T-Mobile sun if needed ! Thank u for your response !!

Just checking to see if it worked?

I'm looking at buying new cellular iPads, but may be switching carriers soon. If I buy the iPads through my current carrier T-Mobile, will I be able to bring the device to AT&T or Verizon ?

Do I need to buy direct from Apple to ensure I can switch carrier ?

Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.