Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sregreb

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
I have read that the rumored new iPad 10.5 may have the same resolution as the current 12.9 iPad Pro. Does this mean apps will need to be updated to accommodate this new resolution? If so, my hope is that this will mean these updated apps will improve the 12.9 experience as well, which has been somewhat neglected since it is lesss popular. I am so tired of using Facebook and other apps with giant text and the old keyboard style, share sheet, etc. Any thoughts?

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Correct. It's expected that the 10.5 will have the same 2732x2048 resolution as the 12.9, difference being that it'll have a higher PPI and smaller touch targets (identical to the mini).

It's interesting, as iPad apps that get blown up on the 12.9 look pretty bad. But I wonder if on the 10.5 when they're blown up they wont look as bad, because of the physical screen being closer in size to the 9.7, and because of the higher PPI. If that is the case, I wonder if developers will push to update apps to the Pro full screen resolution.

Also interesting here, is that when an app is in full screen it could be similar in size (well a bit bigger) to the original iPad screen, yet when it goes into multitasking the app will be the size of a full screen iPad mini, so the touch targets will all drop in size (similar to the 12.9 showing a split screen app in near identical size to the 9.7" iPad).

Anyway, it's all speculation. I wonder if they'll make more changes to iOS and encourage more dynamic app UI sizes (not that some of that already exists).

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I didn't even think about that. Definitely makes me a little apprehensive to buy the 10.5 as the blown up loads look horrible on the 12.9. That was one of the reasons why I returned mine. Hopefully this pushes developers to update for the resolution.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I didn't even think about that. Definitely makes me a little apprehensive to buy the 10.5 as the blown up loads look horrible on the 12.9. That was one of the reasons why I returned mine. Hopefully this pushes developers to update for the resolution.
Yeah, but the thing to also keep in mind is that this isn't much bigger than the 9.7", so it won't really look "blown up". When they update the apps, they'll have more workspace and a sharper resolution on the 10.5", and overall the button controls and other UI elements will be smaller like an iPad Mini. I think it's going to be fantastic, and like the OP stated, will improve the experience for 12.9" users as it will push more companies to update.

Reactions: Appleaker

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, but the thing to also keep in mind is that this isn't much bigger than the 9.7", so it won't really look "blown up". When they update the apps, they'll have more workspace and a sharper resolution on the 10.5", and overall the button controls and other UI elements will be smaller like an iPad Mini. I think it's going to be fantastic, and like the OP stated, will improve the experience for 12.9" users as it will push more companies to update.

That's a good point. I didn't really think of that.

Reactions: macduke

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
I don't know why but people who are excited about the 10.5" iPad Pro getting the resolution of the 12.9" iPP it is coming with a marginal compromise it is going to be slight taller than the current 9.7" iPad Pro I don't know how people are finding it ok ?

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know why but people who are excited about the 10.5" iPad Pro getting the resolution of the 12.9" iPP it is coming with a marginal compromise it is going to be slight taller than the current 9.7" iPad Pro I don't know how people are finding it ok ?

For me, I was excited about the possibilities of the higher resolution 12.9, but the overall size and weight of the device was just too much. The 10.5 should be much easier to handle and lighter, but with the same resolution and power of the 12.9. It's a win for me.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Correct. It's expected that the 10.5 will have the same 2732x2048 resolution as the 12.9, difference being that it'll have a higher PPI and smaller touch targets (identical to the mini).

It's interesting, as iPad apps that get blown up on the 12.9 look pretty bad. But I wonder if on the 10.5 when they're blown up they wont look as bad, because of the physical screen being closer in size to the 9.7, and because of the higher PPI. If that is the case, I wonder if developers will push to update apps to the Pro full screen resolution.

Also interesting here, is that when an app is in full screen it could be similar in size (well a bit bigger) to the original iPad screen, yet when it goes into multitasking the app will be the size of a full screen iPad mini, so the touch targets will all drop in size (similar to the 12.9 showing a split screen app in near identical size to the 9.7" iPad).

Anyway, it's all speculation. I wonder if they'll make more changes to iOS and encourage more dynamic app UI sizes (not that some of that already exists).
This isn't entirely correct. iOS is resolution independent. Aside from the mini, the touch targets of the new 10.5 will be about the same as the 12.9. iOS scaleable so there shouldn't be any issues. The buttons on the iPhones are all the same size as far as touch targets even though there are multiple resolutions. Like I said, the mini being the obvious outlier. And since its going away soon , it wont matter much.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
This isn't entirely correct. iOS is resolution independent. Aside from the mini, the touch targets of the new 10.5 will be about the same as the 12.9. iOS scaleable so there shouldn't be any issues. The buttons on the iPhones are all the same size as far as touch targets even though there are multiple resolutions. Like I said, the mini being the obvious outlier. And since its going away soon , it wont matter much.

So do you think the 10.5 will have the same issues the 12.9 has? With apps not being optimized for the larger screen?

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
So do you think the 10.5 will have the same issues the 12.9 has? With apps not being optimized for the larger screen?
Honestly it all depends on how the developers have written their apps. There may be issues if its not a "scaled down" experience like the mini situation. But my guess is most apps will be just fine. If not, I agree its going to be a pain because so many developers still have not properly optimized for iPad....and by that I mean so many apps still dont even support split screen. If Apple really wants the iPad to be taken more seriously they need to mandate that ALL apps (except games) require split screen support in order to be accepted in the app store. It's total BS that in 2017 after almost 3 years apps like facebook and spotify for example cant be used in split screen.

Sorry for getting on a soap box here. But I've been a HUGE iPad supporter since day 1, owned just about every iPad model made. Its my computer replacement at home now and I'd love for it to succeed big time. But the ball is in apples court and they need to step up their game big time if they want iPad to become a computer replacement for everyone else who is still skeptical.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Honestly it all depends on how the developers have written their apps. There may be issues if its not a "scaled down" experience like the mini situation. But my guess is most apps will be just fine. If not, I agree its going to be a pain because so many developers still have not properly optimized for iPad....and by that I mean so many apps still dont even support split screen. If Apple really wants the iPad to be taken more seriously they need to mandate that ALL apps (except games) require split screen support in order to be accepted in the app store. It's total BS that in 2017 after almost 3 years apps like facebook and spotify for example cant be used in split screen.

Sorry for getting on a soap box here. But I've been a HUGE iPad supporter since day 1, owned just about every iPad model made. Its my computer replacement at home now and I'd love for it to succeed big time. But the ball is in apples court and they need to step up their game big time if they want iPad to become a computer replacement for everyone else who is still skeptical.

I'm with you. My goal is to replace my rMB with a 10.5 pro once it is released. I don't think I should have any issue doing so because I have worked through most scenarios already. There is only one thing I can't figure out, but I can always use my girlfriends computer if absolutely necessary. The iPad has huge potential, Apple just has to get it together on the software side.

Reactions: jonnyb098

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

I said that it's expected, not confirmed. Are you confirming that the 10.5 will not have the same resolution as the 12.9?

Also, sure, iOS is scalable. But if there's a new resolution coming to the 10.5, unless all developers update their apps, it'll be the same story with scaled up full screen apps just like the 12.9 for those which are not yet optimized for that resolution.

The iPad mini was the easiest since it was identical resolution to the 9.7" iPads so all apps rendered identically, just with smaller touch targets.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Because the 10.5" Pro has a much higher screen-to-body ratio than the 9.7" Pro.

The 9.7" and 7.9" iPads have a ratio of ~70% compared to 10.5" and 12.9" devices which are ~80%.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
So it's all but confirmed the 12.9" form factor will be abandoned?

It didn't get the enhanced screen and True Tone display of its 9.7" sibling and has remained stagnant for 2 years.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So it's all but confirmed the 12.9" form factor will be abandoned?

It didn't get the enhanced screen and True Tone display of its 9.7" sibling and has remained stagnant for 2 years.
Where you got that impression? there will be a new 12.9

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
No, that's not true in the slightest. I don't know where you got that from but there will be a new 12.9" model.

Where you got that impression? there will be a new 12.9

I get that impression because there's been no rumours of a bump in screen size and resolution (ie smaller bezels) for the 12.9" model.

I think the 12.9" model will be unattractive compared to a 10.5" model that gets the 12.9"'s resolution in a smaller and more efficient package, even if the 12.9" belatedly gets the 9.7" iPP's display quality.

With iPhone 8 and 10.5" iPP it'll all be about slim bezels. Everything else will look old compared to the new versions with more efficient use of space. iPad especially needs its fat bezels cut.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I get that impression because there's been no rumours of a bump in screen size and resolution (ie smaller bezels) for the 12.9" model.

I think the 12.9" model will be unattractive compared to a 10.5" model that gets the 12.9"'s resolution in a smaller and more efficient package, even if the 12.9" belatedly gets the 9.7" iPP's display quality.

With iPhone 8 and 10.5" iPP it'll all be about slim bezels. Everything else will look old compared to the new versions with more efficient use of space. iPad especially needs its fat bezels cut.
The 10.5-inch iPad Pro won't have the bezel-free design that people were expecting, but I can understand your viewpoint of it being the new model that replaces both sizes in the Pro lineup. But there is still a significant difference between the 10.5" and 12.9", along with the advantages whith the larger size. I suspect the continuation of the model in the future would depend on sales and it may end up in an iPad mini position.

The reason there's been no rumors about increasing screen size and resolution on the 12.9" is because it's not happening and wouldn't make sense. It's happening on the smaller Pro is to bring them both in line so they have the same resolution for software features/aspects and just because it's cleaner. The reason for the 10.5" size is the same reason for the 12.9" size, except instead of being based on the 9.7" height it's based on the 7.9" height. I think many 12.9" users would prefer smaller bezels rather than a larger screen in the same form factor, but there will be users that may want a bigger screen.

Reactions: profets

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The 10.5-inch iPad Pro won't have the bezel-free design that people were expecting, but I can understand your viewpoint of it being the new model that replaces both sizes in the Pro lineup. But there is still a significant difference between the 10.5" and 12.9", along with the advantages whith the larger size. I suspect the continuation of the model in the future would depend on sales and it may end up in an iPad mini position.

The reason there's been no rumors about increasing screen size and resolution on the 12.9" is because it's not happening and wouldn't make sense. It's happening on the smaller Pro is to bring them both in line so they have the same resolution for software features/aspects and just because it's cleaner. The reason for the 10.5" size is the same reason for the 12.9" size, except instead of being based on the 9.7" height it's based on the 7.9" height. I think many 12.9" users would prefer smaller bezels rather than a larger screen in the same form factor, but there will be users that may want a bigger screen.

I'm very curious to see how this plays out. Split screen in landscape on the supposed 10.5" would be like the full screen apps side by side, but with the mini's PPI and touch targets. But would a single app in full screen portrait (not optimized for the 2732x2048 resolution) on the 10.5" be slightly blown up and and have similar touch target size as the 9.7" iPad apps?

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

The 12.9" IPP could just be getting a processor and screen upgrade. If the form factor stays the same you wouldn't get the leaks from the accessory supply chain. All of the leaks on the rumored 10.5" IPP are coming from the new cases that need to be manufactured before Apple officially launches it. We're two days away from knowing for sure so I'm not sure what the value is in speculating at this point.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I'm very curious to see how this plays out. Split screen in landscape on the supposed 10.5" would be like the full screen apps side by side, but with the mini's PPI and touch targets. But would a single app in full screen portrait (not optimized for the 2732x2048 resolution) on the 10.5" be slightly blown up and and have similar touch target size as the 9.7" iPad apps?
Yeah, essentially just imagine how it is on the 12.9" currently, but smaller. Tune advantage to this is that the screen is closer to 9.7" so things won't seem as large with unoptimised apps.
I kind of wish the did a version of split screen multitasting where it did show the standard portrait app view, meaning it would be compatible with any portrait iPad app, but the right side would have to be an app that supported split screen. Maybe they could do this with iOS 11 on the new Pros but I don't think they would since its a bit messy and has sizing limitations. The only reason I want it is because there are still a number of apps that don't support split screen, but that is slowly improving.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah, essentially just imagine how it is on the 12.9" currently, but smaller. Tune advantage to this is that the screen is closer to 9.7" so things won't seem as large with unoptimised apps.

I was thinking that too. And with the higher PPI it may help for that case as well. Still feel like it would be a bit weird when going multitasking from a single full screen app - almost like the touch targets will drop from 9.7" size to 7.9" size screen.

I kind of wish the did a version of split screen multitasting where it did show the standard portrait app view, meaning it would be compatible with any portrait iPad app, but the right side would have to be an app that supported split screen. Maybe they could do this with iOS 11 on the new Pros but I don't think they would since its a bit messy and has sizing limitations. The only reason I want it is because there are still a number of apps that don't support split screen, but that is slowly improving.

Totally agree here. Well, we're getting much closer now anyway to the reveal!

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
The 12.9" IPP could just be getting a processor and screen upgrade. If the form factor stays the same you wouldn't get the leaks from the accessory supply chain. All of the leaks on the rumored 10.5" IPP are coming from the new cases that need to be manufactured before Apple officially launches it. We're two days away from knowing for sure so I'm not sure what the value is in speculating at this point.
Yep. Don't forget that cases have been updated for the 12.9" to include the shifted microphone location as well:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/22/cases-upcoming-ipad-pro/

I would be seriously surprised if Apple abandoned the 12.9" in it's first generation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.