Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBeverage

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
Greetings. I'm currently looking to upgrade from my aging iPad Mini 5, which I've enjoyed but now has quite a few scratches and dents as well as a fairly cooked battery. Well-loved, as they say.

I've decided upon the new base iPad for my replacement -- I am aware of the limitations and a non-laminated screen is a non-issue for me. The two things I'm looking for are a bigger screen (in portrait mode width especially, the new mini being NARROWER despite the all screen design was a head scratcher) and a nice new battery, which the 10th gen fits perfectly. I am mainly curious to know if a replacement is expected to be released in the remainder of 2023.

I haven't seen any rumors lately but I assume there are those here who follow these things far more closely than I do. If the upgrade is from an A14/4GB to an A15/4GB, I wouldn't really care, but if there is an upcoming bump to 6GB of RAM or a jump to an A16 processor, I might decide to hold off.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
No rumors on the specs yet, but A16 or 6GB RAM would be a lot for the price.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
No specific rumors around this, but the base iPad is typically updated annually and was last updated in October 2022. I suspect if it does update that happens in the next few months would just be a bump to the A15 chip with (probably) 4 GB of RAM.

Reactions: Digitalguy

TheBeverage

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
@JPack @bodonnell202 Appreciate your thoughts. With two base iPads in the lineup I wonder if they may not even bother with an update and just lower the price of the 10th gen, but there's a good deal at a local shop so I'd probably make out the same either way, and could really use the new one sooner than later.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Apple typically only updates the processor or the RAM in the base iPad each year. Not both at the same time. They technically updated both last year for the 10th gen, but I don’t necessarily see that becoming a new trend. It came at a price increase.

There haven’t really been strong iPad rumors lately. The Pros have been mentioned for 2024, and are expected to see some significant changes supposedly. All the other models are relative wild cards.

The base iPad is now in a confusing position. They’ve now fractured even that category by keeping the 9th gen in the lineup as the real entry level in terms of cost, along with the new 10th gen for a higher price.

They could probably keep the 9th gen around another year (with its iPhone 11 processor), and update the 10th gen to a spec bumped 11th gen. But then would they rename the 9th gen (some on these forums wonder if it should be called the iPad SE)? There’s a precedent for them renaming a product. They renamed the Apple TV 4th generation to call it Apple TV HD.

I really don’t know why the iPad lineup has to be so dense. There’s literally 3 iPads with roughly the same screen size, and they’re all on different release schedules, mostly unknown to the public.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
^^
The line up is disgustingly confusing. Choice anxiety further increase if you want to bump capacity from 64GB which is too little for anything but streaming or basic usage. Furthermore there is no 128GB upgrade option. Therefore if you want a base iPad with upgraded storage it's £550 for a 256GB. IMO an awful value proposition for a dated iPad. I would rather buy a previous generation Air or Pro.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Anyone see any updated rumors on this? All talk is on iPad Air and Pro. What about the BASE iPad? (iPad 11)

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Greetings. I'm currently looking to upgrade from my aging iPad Mini 5, which I've enjoyed but now has quite a few scratches and dents as well as a fairly cooked battery. Well-loved, as they say.

I've decided upon the new base iPad for my replacement -- I am aware of the limitations and a non-laminated screen is a non-issue for me. The two things I'm looking for are a bigger screen (in portrait mode width especially, the new mini being NARROWER despite the all screen design was a head scratcher) and a nice new battery, which the 10th gen fits perfectly. I am mainly curious to know if a replacement is expected to be released in the remainder of 2023.

I haven't seen any rumors lately but I assume there are those here who follow these things far more closely than I do. If the upgrade is from an A14/4GB to an A15/4GB, I wouldn't really care, but if there is an upcoming bump to 6GB of RAM or a jump to an A16 processor, I might decide to hold off.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
If there is an update this year, my guess is that it would probably be to the lower-end A15 with 4GB.

That all being said, something I might consider instead:

Apple, nowadays, seems to be only adding refurbished models of iPads from the release prior to the current (with the only current exception to this being the iPad mini). So, right now, a 256GB iPad 10th Generation brand new is the exact same cost as an Apple Certified Refurbished 256GB iPad Air 4th Generation. Right now, the difference between those two is negligible; both have A14, so you're deciding between laminated display and 2nd Generation Pencil support and landscape mode camera with that kooky two-piece keyboard cover.

When both models are updated again, the difference between a would-be 11th generation iPad with A15 and a would be Apple Certified Refurbished 5th generation iPad Air with M1 will be way more substantial. Of course, the camera is still positioned for portrait mode and not landscape mode, but that might be a way better bang for buck.

Reactions: mindquest

Kargo

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2013
I went ahead and bought an iPad 10th gen as my 7th gen was absolutely falling to pieces, the home button fell off last week 🤣 Sure I could have waited for a new base model but hearing rumours that this might be in the later half of the year.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I went ahead and bought an iPad 10th gen as my 7th gen was absolutely falling to pieces, the home button fell off last week 🤣 Sure I could have waited for a new base model but hearing rumours that this might be in the later half of the year.
Unless iPad OS drastically changes. There will be no difference in what you can on an 11th gen iPad, M2 iPad Pro or a 2017 iPad Pro.

Reactions: Kargo

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Would probably be a processor upgrade only anyway. It already has the landscape camera and 4GB RAM.

Reactions: Kargo

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It says here that 11th Gen iPad will get the A14 ( and this was leaked unintentionally by a very good source) and everyone is saying A15

It doesn't say that - it is only speculation by MacRumors. It could be an unreleased test device or HomePod. Most importantly, it makes no sense that Apple release an iPad in late 2024 with a four year old A14.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Well I just bought my grandson a yellow 10th gen, so I’m quite sure there will be an upgrade soon. ;-p

I considered waiting to see what was coming, but he had his heart set on that yellow, and I figured a new release wouldn’t likely have the same colors.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
To update, I ended up buying a 10th Gen 64GB model last fall that I've been very happy with. No complaints.

I’ve gotten 10th gens with the keyboards for 3 of my grandkids. They love them. Honestly, I would’ve bought one for myself instead of buying an Air except I prefer the MK that fits the Air/pro.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
One thing for sure is that the OLED models will cost MORE! I laugh at some who claimed they would not cost more or only go up slightly! The OLED tech is more expensive and Apple is not going to absorb the cost.

The OLED iPad cost will make many go to the iPad Air units. This is why apple is introducing them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.