Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 3, 2015
A couple of days I bought an iPad pro 12,9 2018 to upgrade my first gen iPad pro 12,9. I restore my new iPad from my Air 3 backup and start using it since. The battery life seems to be worst compared to my Air 3 by a significant marge. With the same setting and brightness, the iPad pro will lose 1% every few minutes while browsing web or things like that. Also, standby mode seems to be worst as well. Is it normal to lose 10% in standby in like 39-40 hours of standby?

My first gen 12.9 also had poor battery life so I'm a little disappointed to see the new one seems to suffer from the same problem. Other than that I love it but for the price I expected a way better battery than this.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
It almost sounds like you’re using some sort or rogue app thats draining your battery or you have your screen in torch mode. Just grabbed mine a few hours ago and watched some Ren & Stimpy, learned a bit while toying with Procreate while blasting the Smash Bros. Brawl soundtrack with my screen at 60% brightness (dark mode) and my battery is at 83%.

oh, charging Apple Pencil while on these boards.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
A couple of days I bought an iPad pro 12,9 2018 to upgrade my first gen iPad pro 12,9. I restore my new iPad from my Air 3 backup and start using it since. The battery life seems to be worst compared to my Air 3 by a significant marge. With the same setting and brightness, the iPad pro will lose 1% every few minutes while browsing web or things like that. Also, standby mode seems to be worst as well. Is it normal to lose 10% in standby in like 39-40 hours of standby?

My first gen 12.9 also had poor battery life so I'm a little disappointed to see the new one seems to suffer from the same problem. Other than that I love it but for the price I expected a way better battery than this.

The screen is quite brighter than Air but that also drains battery - do you have it set at max? Personally, I find the battery life the same on my gen 1, 2 and 3 iPad Pros.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 3, 2015
The screen is quite brighter than Air but that also drains battery - do you have it set at max? Personally, I find the battery life the same on my gen 1, 2 and 3 iPad Pros.
The 2018 iPad pro have a brighter screen than the 2019 air? I didn't know that. And what's the average battery loss when your iPad pro is on standby?

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
The 2018 iPad pro have a brighter screen than the 2019 air? I didn't know that. And what's the average battery loss when your iPad pro is on standby?

It’s around 500 vs 420 nits in favor of Pro, but I think that could influence battery only at maximum brightness. Perhaps I’m mistaken, it was more of a guess. Since I don’t have the Air, I’m not sure.

On standby my battery is quite good, it looses around 1-2% over 10 hours in standby, and that’s due to notifications that keep coming. I have the wifi-only model.

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
I would do a factory reset on your iPP and set it up as new rather than restoring from a backup. You never know if any of the prior iOS/iPadOS updates caused any bugs on your Air 3. When you set up a brand new device using an older backup, you risk the possibility of moving all that fun stuff over to your new product.
Hope it helps.

Reactions: aevan

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I would do a factory reset on your iPP and set it up as new rather than restoring from a backup. You never know if any of the prior iOS/iPadOS updates caused any bugs on your Air 3. When you set up a brand new device using an older backup, you risk the possibility of moving all that fun stuff over to your new product.
Hope it helps.

Yup, I always set up devices as new. It’s a bit of a hassle, but it’s probably worth it. I even do it for new iOS releases sometimes.

Actually, no, it’s not a hassle for me, I love that stuff - I was thinking of normal people :)

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Yup, I always set up devices as new. It’s a bit of a hassle, but it’s probably worth it. I even do it for new iOS releases sometimes.

Actually, no, it’s not a hassle for me, I love that stuff - I was thinking of normal people :)
I also love to just set up devices as new! It's a habit.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
I set up every new device as a new device. And no problem with my iPad Pro 12.9: actually I’m using it a lot everyday, with external ssd, and generally I end my day without problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.