Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hnklp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2021
Hi, I recently bought an old iPad 1 for my Apple collection. The seller described to me, that when you power it on, iOS freezes. Well that wasn't really true, the system didn't freeze, it was just very laggy. So laggy in fact, that if you interacted with it right after powering the device on, it would just crash and reboot. So, after some attempts, I decided to downgrade the device. After downgrading to iOS 3.2 and booting up, the device was running just fine. No lag whatsoever, everything worked fine, except audio. After opening sounds page in settings, the OS immediately locked up and the device rebooted. After that, i removed system sound libraries. Now when i clicked on the page, the device wouldn't lock up. So after upgrading back to iOS 5.1.1 and removing the sound libraries, the OS stopped lagging and locking up, but the audio wasn't working.

I searched everywhere on the internet, but couldn't find anyone having this issue. I also examined the mainboard, but didn't find a single thing. Do you think it's fixable, and if it is, is it even worth it on such and old device? The only reason i'm looking into this is, that the iPad is 64GB cellular model.

Thanks in advance for any help and tips.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi, I recently bought an old iPad 1 for my Apple collection. The seller described to me, that when you power it on, iOS freezes. Well that wasn't really true, the system didn't freeze, it was just very laggy. So laggy in fact, that if you interacted with it right after powering the device on, it would just crash and reboot. So, after some attempts, I decided to downgrade the device. After downgrading to iOS 3.2 and booting up, the device was running just fine. No lag whatsoever, everything worked fine, except audio. After opening sounds page in settings, the OS immediately locked up and the device rebooted. After that, i removed system sound libraries. Now when i clicked on the page, the device wouldn't lock up. So after upgrading back to iOS 5.1.1 and removing the sound libraries, the OS stopped lagging and locking up, but the audio wasn't working.

I searched everywhere on the internet, but couldn't find anyone having this issue. I also examined the mainboard, but didn't find a single thing. Do you think it's fixable, and if it is, is it even worth it on such and old device? The only reason i'm looking into this is, that the iPad is 64GB cellular model.

Thanks in advance for any help and tips.
Do you think that the speakers could be defective?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.