Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Numbloaf48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
My iPad 2 now shows a mic on the keyboard for dictation but I am unable to tap it. Wondering if anyone else can also confirm this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 163

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
While this may be true for iOS 7 and before, what's your explanation for the mic icon being there now in iOS 8?

I saw a mic icon on the small numeric only passcode keyboard, (The one that looks like the one from the iOS 6 lock screen) it's just some kind of glitch.

Numbloaf48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
iPad 2 dictation

Yes this picture was taken on my iPad 2 and I also have the mic on the numeric pad as well. Either Apple accidentally added it or it will be fully working in beta 4. I know the iPad 2 won't get Siri, but from what I've seen it could potentially get dictation. Siri wasn't added because of hardware limitations but dictation just requires a mic and the software to run it. Which is why I believe the iPad 2 will get it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 124

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Remember the iPhone 4S got photo filters on later betas of iOS 7. We can always hope the iPad 2 gets dictation in the end.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Remember the iPhone 4S got photo filters on later betas of iOS 7. We can always hope the iPad 2 gets dictation in the end.

But photo filters were not excluded in an earlier stable version. As far as we know they always intended to give the 4S filters.

TheColtr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2014
California
But photo filters were not excluded in an earlier stable version. As far as we know they always intended to give the 4S filters.

No they didn't. I had a 4S at the time and watching the iOS 7 keynote thinking "why can't they give photo filters to my phone." Later to be surprised when they showed up.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
Still, it wasn't a public release. Apple themselves clearly state on their website that all software features in beta versions of iOS are subject to changes and might not work the way they do in said beta...

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
While this may be true for iOS 7 and before, what's your explanation for the mic icon being there now in iOS 8?

a bug

----------

If my 2008 iMac has dictation, there's no reason the iPad 2 couldn't have it.

Do you think, your 2008 iMac and iPad 2 have the same microphones and noise cancellation capabilities? We know it isn't related to the CPU of the device because the iPad mini has this feature

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I vote for bug. The iPad 2 has a very low quality microphone. I don't see how dictation could work with that there would be zillions of errors.

puterman1999

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
Well, I sold my iPad 2 a while ago. What ever happened with the whole dictation button thing? I'm curious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.