Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockisdead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
My iPad2 16GB wifi was running iOS7.1.2 before I upgraded it to iOS 9 last night,this morning I only get into once after answered those normal questions when upgrading the iOS,I found it is running a little bit lag,so I decided to reboot the device,somehow it keeps crashing rebooting and I'm no longer able to get into the system,I don't want to lose data but how can I resolve this issue?

I tried to connect it to a PC which has iTunes installed,I could not see the device because it stuck at the white apple screen with a progress bar,bar is increasing but device would reboot after the bar reaches about 30% of its length,then repeat the same.

I did upgrade another iPad 2 from 8.4.1 to iOS9 through OTA without any issue,

Please advise,thanks in advance.
170425rm0cdd05dgp9lddc.jpg

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Huh, interesting.

I'd put it in DFU mode and restore it through iTunes to iOS 9. All your stuff will be erased, though. But you can restore from a backup on iOS 9.

Cheers!

rockisdead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Bad thing is I did not make a backup before I upgraded it,I first upgraded my mom's ipad2(iOS 8.4.1) through OTA without any issue,so I thought it was ok to upgraded my dad's iPad 2(iOS 7.1.2) directly,but I was wrong...

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Bad thing is I did not make a backup before I upgraded it,I first upgraded my mom's ipad2(iOS 8.4.1) through OTA without any issue,so I thought it was ok to upgraded my dad's iPad 2(iOS 7.1.2) directly,but I was wrong...

Yeah. It sucks, but I think that's the only way to solve this issue.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
Not making a back up before any software update is a huge mistake. The other was going from iOS 7 to iOS 9 without iOS 8. There's currently a bug in iOS 9 on older devices the causes this exact problem when going from 7 to 9. Try this: http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/18/how-to-fix-slide-to-upgrade-error-ios-9/. If that doesn't work the only option to get the iPad working again is to do a DFU restore using iTunes, and set the device up as a new, not restoring back up. You will lose the data if you did not make an iTunes backup. This issue is being caused by restores from iCloud.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA

You may have an iCloud backup that was made with iOS 7. You can check this on another iOS device using your Apple iCloud ID. If you do you have a backup, you can check the date it was done.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
You may have an iCloud backup that was made with iOS 7. You can check this on another iOS device using your Apple iCloud ID. If you do you have a backup, you can check the date it was done.
Even if there is an iCloud back up it can not be restored when this issue occurs. Trying will put the device in a boot loop. It has to be restored from an iTunes backup, or set up as new.

rockisdead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Chat with apple tech,no way to recovery the data,give up,will do DFU.

This is really sucks,the quality of apple products is falling in last two years.

What a lesson!Bad apple.

rockisdead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Looks like apple fix this issue with iOS9.0.1 updates,I connected my iPad 2 to PC,put it in DFU mode,iTunes will give the option to update("update" button showed up beside "Restore" button),hit the "update" button,then my iPad upgraded to latest version and my data are there.

Good thing that I did not follow apple tech support's suggestion to erase all the data.

Hope it helps .

Reactions: gwhizkids
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.