Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How would you compare the performance of the iPad 2 on iOS 9 to the iPad 2 on iOS 6?

• Totally fine, not noticeably worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Noticeably worse but acceptable

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Noticeably worse and not acceptable

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Totally unacceptable, unbearably worse

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
I've recently inherited an iPad 2 that is running iOS 6 and doing so smoothly.

It's a little strange seeing all the old iOS designs and Safari still has the search bar separated from the address bar. And I'm sure there are other things that make being on 6 kind of strange compared to what we're all used to, like probably fewer apps being supported and whatnot.

But stock apps open right away when you tap them and there's no keyboard lag.

And this is mainly going to be used for web browsing, email, YouTube and the like.

I don't know anyone with an iPad 2 on iOS 9 so I'm wondering if anyone here can chime in. Is there a significant performance hit? I've created a poll if you wouldn't mind sharing your experiences.

Thanks for your input!

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
i would stay on IOS 6 if you upgrade too IOS 9 or above you cant go back and you be hating your self right now you are a lucky one
[doublepost=1455678540][/doublepost]apple needs too drop IOS upgrades for iphone 4S and ipad 2 there this too old now

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Don't upgrade it from iOS 6. It won't be able to run many modern apps, but then an iPad 2 doesn't really have much use with today's modern tablet applications.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
the stuff you wanna run on it, keep it on ios6. you don't need to go higher.

my ipad2 is on 7 and staying that way.

KaliPaige

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2016
I ran an iPad 2 on iOS 9 before I upgraded to the Mini 4, and in my experience, while loading times were definitely slower it wasn't a deal killer for me. I found it to still be quite pleasing for what I like to do on a tablet, which is read books, watch videos/movies, and play the odd 2D JRPG.

If you just want a fresh look for your iPad or there's an app that won't run on iOS 6, then by all means upgrade. If not, stick with iOS 6 because it is noticeably faster.

Simche

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2015
Europe
You don't get so much benefit upgrading, except that the device feels fresh and new (because of iOS 9 looks) and you get to download apps with the latest update. I have mine on iOS 8 and since I already entered this circle of hell I'm gonna update to iOS 9.3 as soon as it goes public

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
from my perspective i stopped upgrading the ios on my ipad2 when i reached 8. the upgrades meant my device getting slower and slower and slower. painfully slower. the new os looked and worked as should, but was so slow and resource intensive.

i didnt worry about lack of apps or app support when i found out living with the higher ios's was like pulling teeth.

i so so wish Apple would let you down-grade the ios. 6 is a good place to stop in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.