Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tesla1856

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
Texas, USA
I still have some perfectly good iPad-2's. Anyone else still have and use one?

It's connected to my iCloud, so my Notes and iMessages appear there as well as my other devices. Sometimes, I'll find it laying-around closer than other devices and I use it. Sure is nicer typing on an iPad over a phone.

But the one thing I miss is dictation. I don't need Siri, just voice recognition. I tried GBoard, but there is no Microphone icon (even with it set to "full control"). I re-discovered Dragon Dictation, but I don't see a way to use it from iOS Notes or iMessage. Only work-around I saw was this cumbersome copy-paste from the Dragon Dictation app itself.

Remember that iPhone-4 and iPad-2 has never had Siri (I think the excuse was it was too slow) and its iOS stopped updating at 9.3.5. Anyway, I'm open to ideas.

Last edited:

Tesla1856

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
Texas, USA
Just noticed the mic icon and dictation also works fine in Google Search app. Doesn't really help with iMessage, but again proves the iPad-2 has plenty of horsepower to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.